help with amigurumi pattern

mkp

Question

Hi all,

I'm currently making a dinosaur amigurumi. I'm on the last step, and I'm doing something wrong and not sure what! Here is the pattern: 

We crochet the collar in rows. At the end of each row we crochet one chain and turn.

Rd 1: with turquoise 43 CH, then crochet 42 SC, 1 SC in each CH, first SC in the second CH from the hook. (42) (1 CH and turn).
Rd 2: SC in each ST (42)
Rd 3: 1 SC in second ST (skip the first ST), 1 SC in next 5 ST, [2 SC in next ST, SC in next 6 ST] 4x, 2 SC in next ST, 1 SC in next 5 ST (46) (1 CH and turn).

Rd 4: 1 SC in second ST (skip the first ST), 1 SC in next 42 ST, Sc2tog (44) (1 CH and turn).

Rd 5: 1 SC in second ST (skip the first ST), 1 SC in next 4 ST, [2 SC in next ST, SC in next 7 ST] 4x, 2 SC in next ST, 1 SC in next 2 ST, Sc2tog (46) (1 CH and turn).
R 6: 1 SC in second ST (skip the first ST), 1 SC in next 43 ST (45). Cut off. 

After I've completed the last "1 SC in next 5 ST" I always have 2 stitches left... what am I doing wrong? I feel like I'm going crazy. Any help would be fantastic!

5 answers to this question

Sometimes it helps to write it out.  You're starting with 42 stitches.  You're making 5 increases, but you're skipping 1 stitch.  So, 42 + 5 - 1 = 46.

Rd 3: 1 SC in second ST (skip the first ST), 1 SC in next 5 ST, [2 SC in next ST, SC in next 6 ST] 4x, 2 SC in next ST, 1 SC in next 5 ST (46) (1 CH and turn)

Rnd 3 ...

• skip 1, sc in 2nd stitch      (Worked 2 stitches, made 1 stitch)
  • sc, sc, sc, sc, sc               (Worked 5, made 5)
  • 2sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc  (Worked 7, made 8)
  • 2sc                                   (Worked 1, made 2)
  • sc, sc, sc, sc, sc               (Worked 5, made 5)

2+5+7+7+7+7+1+5=41

1+5+8+8+8+8+2+5=45

I'm coming up a stitch short.  Is that what is happening to you?

You're welcome!  I would contact the designer, if you got it from a website, or the publisher, if you got it from a book, or the website, if you got it from a yarn manufacturer.  Ask them why the counts don't match up and what the correction should be. 

In amigurumi, where you place increases and skips is important.  It's what creates the various shaping.  The only time it's not that important is when you're spacing increases to create round.  Then you just need to space them evenly, but not on top of each other.

Archived