Need help with Red Heart pattern!

calico carol

Question

I just started Red Heart's "Cuddle and Coo" baby blanket. Row 4 has me stumped! Here's what it says:

(After a row of V stitches)

"Ch 1, working in front loops only, sc in each dc and ch-1 space across to turning space, sc in turning ch-space, sc in 3rd ch of turning ch, turn-115 sc"

My question is about the phrase "working in front loops only". Does it mean work in the front loop only of the dc and the front loop of the chain in the chain space? OR does it mean front loop of the dc only and then just a sc in the ch-1 SPACE, not the chain itself?

Help!

1 answer to this question

Link to your blanket for reference

Since is says front loops, I'd say for the whole row.  This blanket has some very definite ridges, and using the front loop in the stitches as well as the chains will create an uninterrupted ridge.  I would try it for both ways for a short span and see what looks better to you;...you may have to work a few stitches both ways then turn and work part of the next row of the pattern over them to see the effect, because working in the front loop will create a ridge on the back.

A little off topic (maybe), but if you crochet over a chain space it makes that stitch slightly shorter (with respect to nearby stitches worked into stitch tops) than using a loop or 2 of a chain.  It's slight, but I make sort of short stitches and it does make a difference in some (not all) patterns--example for me, filet looks much better worked into, not over, a chain.

Archived