Need Help with Pattern instructions

Bookishkate

Question

I've been chrocheting for a little over a year now, so I'm still kind of a beginner. I'm making a pair of slippers and there is a part in the instructions that I'm confused about. I've been doing the upper part of the slipper with an alternating fphdc and bphdc pattern. After the fourth row, it gives me these instructions:

Mark off 37 hdc sts at center front of toe for correct stitch placement.

I'm not sure what they mean, do I start from the stitch in the middle of the toe an count thirty seven stitches away on each side? It says in the next row that I'm to skip the 37 stitches but I don't know what they mean:

Rnd 5: Ch 2, work in pattern using front and back post hdc along 1st side of upper to 1st marked off st, ch 15, skip all 37 marked off sts at toe, continue to work using front and back post hdc along 2nd side of upper to end of rnd.

Also, the pattern also calls for finishing each row with a back to front slip stitch. I've just been going in from behind the loop and not the front. Am I doing that right?

Thanks for your help!

4 answers to this question

those are nice looking slippers!  

the designer has listed her patterns on Ravelry, and you can look at people's projects where they can post notes and photos.  often there is helpful info in the notes and esp. if they have posted in-progress photos.  Also you can see if there are any forum posts that may help.  here is the page for these slippers http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/modern-mens-loafers

i think  MAYBE the skip 37, ch 15 will make a bridge across the instep and then you will fill in the top of the shoe later.  i am not at all sure about that.

the back to front sl st should be described in special stitches somewhere in the pattern.  

Are you working from the back of the heel around to the start again for the 4 rows?  If so this could be a possibility. You  mark off the 37 stitches around the toe and then for row 5 which will be doing the sides only, using the same yarn where you ended row 4 start row 5 and work along the first side to the first marked stitch, then ch 15 and lay across the instep and  start the next side skipping the 37 stitches doing the next stitch in the st after the mark and finish that side

Archived