mybellagirl

New to crocheting hats, need help increasing in round

Question

Hello,

I am new to crocheting hats.  I have read many helpful articles but I still have a question.  I am trying to make a hat with a specific crown diameter and I am following the standard double crochet increase (12, 24, 36...) I can't seem to hit the diameter I need (about 6.25-6.5) using the yarn I have.  It seems to fall short or go over.  4 rounds is too small and 5 rounds go over. It is Big Twist yarn premium from JoAnn's.  It calls for a 5.5 "I" hook but it seems a little thicker than standard medium 4 yarn.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)  Thank you!  Carrie

Edited by mybellagirl

2 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Just because a yarn or pattern recommends a certain size hook, it doesn't mean that you have to use that size.  If you go up a hook size, then you may get the diameter you want with 4 rounds.  If you go down a hook size, you may get the diameter you want with 5 rounds.  This depends on whether you want it tighter or looser.  The other thing you can do is make 4 rounds and then in the 5th round, reduce the number of increases.  If you're increasing by 12, do only 6 increases in the 5th round.  You'll increase the diameter and start the curl in the same round.

Play around with different hook sizes and numbers of increases.  You'll both learn a lot and eventually hit on the diameter that you want.  Please post a pic when you're done.  We love to see what everyone creates!  :)

• Like 1

So my 5th round would be 54 stitches instead of 60?  I just need to space the increases out evenly?  Thank you so very much for your help redrosesdz!! :)

• Like 1