Filet Crochet name doily

charton

Question

Filet crochet:  How do I mix patterns?  I like the letters of one pattern and the edging of another.  The edging pattern is starting with 56 chains.  The letter pattern is starting with 67 chains.  I'm not sure how to adapt.  It's +5 for a block, but then I have an uneven # for the edging. 

1 answer to this question

I would focus on the number of grids versus chains for both patterns, because the number of chains varies depending on whether the first grid is open or solid.

How many grids does one repeat of the edging pattern cover?  I would start with that, figure out how many multiples is closest to the number of grids in the name doily, and then add grids to the name pattern if necessary (in all directions, to keep the name centered) to make the edging pattern repeat evenly.  I think if the name then became off-center by 1 grid in either direction, it wouldn't be too obvious.  (It can't be off center by 2, because you can then move it by 1 grid to re-center it).

I'm a little anal and would probably either re-draft the combined pattern on graph paper to make it easier to count the changed grids, or re-draw the extra grids around the name doily on a printed copy if room allowed.  I'd also sketch in the border as a double-check that the border will fit as expected.

Archived