Sc in top of turning chain?

Franklyn

Question

Hi! I'm new here and a novice left handed crocheter. I'm learning by doing squares in different stitches just to get the hang of it. The square i just started said to chain 32, Then ch 1 and turn, sc into the 1st sc, skip a stitch, then 2sc into the next sc, for a total of 30 sc. I did that ok, but now for row 2 and all other rows, it says to do the same thing except it says to skip the last sc and sc into the top of the turning chain. I'm not sure what that means. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated! So far in my crochet journey, I've made 2 granny squares but that's it so far:(

3 answers to this question

At the end of each row, it should say ch 1, turn. or ch 2, turn. That is known as the turning chain. After you turn, you would make your first stitch in the last ch you made in the row before.  Those turning chains are there to raise the stitch up into the next row you do, and sometimes count as the first or last st in the row.

Just to add to what Avon Lady said... normally for SC stitches your last stitch is done in the last stitch of the previous row and the turning chain on the previous row is ignored. In your pattern, it wants you to skip the last stitch and make an SC in the previous row's chain. To do this, insert your hook between 2 of the 3 strands of yarn in the chain.

Archived