I need pattern help--again!

JustKariB

Question

So I'm making this top: Breeze Top) and the band is made up of a chain of 31 with 29 hdc's (I'm making the size Large). The problem is the band is only about 6" long and it is folded in half. I'm definitely missing something here and would appreciate any help. Thanks a ton!!!

4 answers to this question

The band is the part at the top of the chest, so for size large should be 6.5" (this is measured from the armpit down).

Are you getting gauge?  Pattern gauge is  "about" 18 HDC=4", so 1 stitch is 0.2222".  Therefore 29 stitches x 0.2222 = 6.44...pretty close to the 6.5" you are supposed to have for size L.  So you just work across the 29 stitches until it is 41" long.

I'm not understanding what you mean by 'folded in half'...eventually you will bring the short ends together and overlap them by 1".  Then, you will proceed to work around one edge of the band in the round , which will form the 'skirt' part (fastening that 1" overlap together while doing that first row of the skirt).  The overlap is shown by the dotted lines in the diagram.  Later on you sew buttons to the underside of the overlapped part, and poke the buttons thru the fabric to keep it closed (I'm sort of wrinkling my nose at that, I'd have use slightly bigger buttons and made buttonholes, but that's just me...

edit/correction, is 6.5 inches for your size.

Archived