Animal Head pattern

Emstar

Question

I am confused on a current pattern to make a zebra head. Please note that this is a UK pattern, so dc actually refers to a single crochet stitch in the US. The pattern reads as follows (this is after 13 rounds, and now switches from rounds to rows):

Row 1 (RS): work 1 dc into the next 6 dc, turn

Row 2 (WS): ch 1 (does not count as a st), work 1 dc into the dc in front of the first dc, 1 dc into the next 7 dc, turn

I don't understand the part about working into the front. It clearly isn't referring to the front loop, but trying to crochet into the I worked stitches to the right of the current work results in twisted work. Any help?? Thank you!!

1 answer to this question

So, you have a tube or or circle from the earlier work,

then you made row 1 and turned

then you chain 1.....I think this is to give you some stretch to reach to the stitch to the right, which will be on the 'in the round' part.  the only twist might be in the chain, I think (doing this in my head)

then you work across the 6 stitches you made in row 1...but wait, the instructions say to work across 7 stitches...I believe the 7th is the next stitch on the 'in the round' part.

Can you tell what part of the head this is?  It sounds like it might be the start of a set of 'short rows', where you work across a long row for a few stitches, turn, work back across the short bit and grab the next stitch from the long row, repeat.  It sort of makes a 'lump' in the row, for shaping.  Sock heels are often made this way.  I'll see if I can find a generic tutorial...

Edit, this tutorial has a nice diagram , a bit less than way down the page (don't worry, you don't need to read the whole page).   In this example she's making a toy with a long nose, and it looks like she's transitioning from the nose to the face, forming a flat area above the top of the nose by using short rows.

It's showing row 7 as the long row, then the following rows are short rows above it.  The curve on row 8 is a little misleading, I think she's doing it to show the 'core' of the bump (it would really be a straight line). 

http://www.lookatwhatimade.net/crafts/yarn/crochet/crochet-tutorials/crochet-short-rows-joining-in-the-round/

Archived