Pattern help

Stephanie64804

Question

I'm having difficulty completing a new project. I'm making the Exquisite pattern from the terry kimbrough baby afghan book. I've completed the body and have started the edging but when I try to complete rnd 2 I keep coming up short 1 stitch on the second pass (the 115; as in I'm working the tr, ch3. tr in stitch 114). I've tried twice and even sketched out on paper but it still comes up the same. Thanks in advance for any help!

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

Without seeing the pattern, I have 2 suggestions for you ...

You can rip out the first round and add a stitch there.  I've found that sometimes I think the previous round is the right number of stitches.  I count it multiple times, but the next round just isn't coming out right.  However, when I give up, rip out the previous round and start over, it works out.

You can fudge round 2.  If you're skipping stitches, skip one less stitch somewhere.  If you're not skipping stitches, increase a stitch somewhere.  Do it close to a corner.  No one, except you, will know or notice.

Sometimes a pattern count is wrong.  Sometimes it's because of being tired.  When I'm tired, I have more difficulty spotting where I got off count.

If you need more than what I've written.  It's OK to write out the instructions for the row/round you're having trouble with and 1-2 rows/rounds before the problem.  A small portion of instructions isn't a copyright violation, because it's not enough for someone to copy and do the pattern.  Also, if you don't know someone that crochets, you may be able to find someone at your local yarn shop or find a yarn group.  A second set of eyes on a project can help.

hi, welcome to the ville!  

I really can't add anything to what Sharon said in post 2.  I've made one Kimbrough pattern and they can be very intricate, so the written pattern is very wordy and kind of makes me dizzy  :spin lol

I looked this pattern up on Ravelry and looked at project photos; this one has a closeup photo of the edging http://www.ravelry.com/projects/cataylor/exquisite-baby-afghan

It looks like you first do a round of sc all around, then round 2 is the openwork part of the edging.  I find sc can be very dificult because the sts are so short and kind of disappear so it is hard to count.  so if round 1 is in fact sc, then i know i would have a hard time counting it. 

In any case, i would do what Sharon said and just fudge round 2 to get it to come out right.  it will still be beautiful when you are finished :hook

post-77639-0-52626500-1462938765_thumb.jpegpost-77639-0-30528200-1462938782_thumb.jpegpost-77639-0-60638500-1462938873_thumb.jpegpost-77639-0-84682200-1462938902_thumb.jpeg

So when I sketched it out you'll see it comes up short on the second pass (the 115 sc). I could just fudge it but it will be a slight gap at some point and I really just want it to be correct. Thanks again for all the help!

edit: my notes might not make perfect sense but to clarify 1-19 shows the pattern while 20-83 shows the repeat. It is the same for the next photo (115sc).

Archived