crochet Shrug Pattern Help

Vanessa Wee

Question

7 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

The . in the diagram represents a slip stitch.  So, yes, do a slip stitch over to the chain, then chain 3.

Carry yarn refers to what to do when you're changing colors.  You have two options when you change colors ...

1. Cut and fasten off the old color.
  2. Carry the old color to use in the future.

When you begin a color change, even at the end of a row, make the last stitch until you have the final 2 loops on your hook.  Drop the old color.  Pick up the new color and use it to finish the stitch.

To carry the old color up for a future row, flip it up between your hook and the new yarn on the next stitch.  Untangle the 2 colors.  To carry the old color across a row for picking up either later in the row or at the other end, lay the old color across the top of the stitches and trap it in between the new stitches.  If you've ever hidden a tail as you go, it's the same as that.

Here's a full explanation with pictures ...

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-carry-yarn-in-crochet.html

Vanessa, are you making the Pierrot child's bolero, found under Boleros at the Pierrot site http://gosyo.shop.multilingualcart.com/free1.php  ?  it is the last one un the bolero section.  

It's a lot easier for us to understand when we can all see the whole thing.  Since Pierrot has offered these lovely diagrammed patterns for free, we can all go to their site and open up the pdf.  

in this case "carry yarn" really just means to move your next stitch (the slip stitch) a little farther over than you normally would expect to.  

(if anybody is wondering how i searched for the pattern, i could see it is a beautifully done diagram, so I first thought of Robyn Chachula's designs, but didn't see the right st patt in her Ravelry listings.  So my next thought was Pierrot and i went to their page and looked at boleros.)  

ok, looking at the diagram some more....re the 'carry yarn'----

for the one you asked about you can probably just pull up a longer loop than usual to get to where you do the slip stitch.

on the sleeve you have another 'carry yarn' that goes over several stitches.  I think you may want to do a bit more there but i am not sure, so i will research and get back to you.  

The curved arrow "carry yarn" instruction means to do this:

take the loop on your hook and pull it out so it is large enough to pass your skein of yarn through it.  this essentially makes a loose knot.  tighten the knot down.  then take the yarn strand to the spot where the next stitch is shown and continue stitching.  you will then seam over the single strand running along the edge.

i am not sure if i have described that very well, so let me know if not.   for another description of it, see post 10 here http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/japanese-knitting-and-crochet/1106631/1-25#10

Hi all,

Thanks all for trying to help.

Magiccrochetfan u r really great. Yeps thats the pattern im working on.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and also goin the extra mile to find the pattern to understand my problem.

Archived