Where is the end?

creekbottom

Question

10 answers to this question

Sorry for the series of posts, didn't want to take a chance of losing any links.

here is a thread on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/techniques/2959300

I thought post #8 was a good description of how to carefully deal with the hank, and lots of people posted about their experiences.  

Berroco has a nice video https://blog.berroco.com/2012/11/27/ask-amanda-how-do-i-wind-yarn-into-a-ball/

I think if you look at all of that you will have a pretty good idea how to approach it.  But do please ask whatever additional questions you need to!

Working with yarn in hank form can seem very daunting, and if you try to rush into it and yank or tug on the yarn it is easy to create tangles.  But it can be a very relaxed, successful activity if you are patient.  And some of the very nicest yarns come in hank form. :hook

Oh, also, if you bought it from a local yarn shop, you could take it back there and ask for assistance.  They probably have a swift to put it on to keep the hank untangled while it's being wound.  But using your knees, chair backs, or having a friend hold it for you to keep it taut, all work just fine too.   

I'm glad to hear that.  As Kathy pointed out, most local yarn stores have a swindle or something for easily winding hanks of yarn into balls, since they tend to carry and sell hanks of yarn.  Even if you didn't buy it at a local yarn store, they'd be willing to wind it for you to get your future business.  Of course that would only be when they're not busy.  If you visit them in the middle of the day on a weekday, they're less busy.

It's wound in a ball now, watching the video was easy.  I got a tangle near the end of the hank, not fun.

Great, I'm glad you got it done!  I hope when you get to working with the yarn, it rewards your efforts :hook

Even if you didn't buy it at a local yarn store, they'd be willing to wind it for you to get your future business.  

Sorry but I have to disagree---I don't think all stores will wind yarn that was not bought there.  Main reason for this would be that if they didn't sell it to you, they can't replace the yarn if there is any problem in winding it.  

Some shops that are willing to wind yarn from other sources charge a small winding fee. Some shops will let customers use the swift and winder themselves.  

Archived