Help with pattern

PaigePilling

Question

I am crocheting a baby boys cardigan and the patterns says; 

Chain 33, (36, 39)

Row 1 (RS): Ch2, HDC in 2nd chain from hook and each ch across; turn 31 (34,37) sc 

​I'm just not sure what the end part means (across; turn 31 (34,37) sc)

​and don't understand why you need to chain 2 right after chaining 36.

Any help would be great, thanks.

8 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

when you start a piece made in rows you have a beginning chain that determines the width of the piece.  to start the first row you then have a turning chain.  some patterns lump together all those chains but this one has separated them out.

the "31 (34, 37) sc" is just stating what you will have made at the end of the row so you can be sure your stitch count is correct.  

BUT i think there are some problems with this pattern.  for one thing it says to hdc across but gives the stitch count as sc.

what is the name and locarion of the pattern?  

never mind i think i found it but i am not sure the site it is on is OK per the Crochetville guidelines, so i will message Amy, the admin, to see if we can link to the pattern here or not.  you can find the site guidelines in the Town Hall section if you want to review them.

will come right back, and post more about interpreting the pattern.

Hi Paige,  I was editing my post while you were typing ;-)   There is a link on that page that is not permitted under the Crochetville guidelines.  I have sent a message to the Ville admin, Amy, to ask if the pattern is ok to link to here.  While we wait for her response, I suggest you delete the link from your post.  Amy will let us know shortly if the page is ok to link here or not.

Ok, so the thing about the pattern is that the blogger had a pattern, apparently on a now-defunct site, that she partially rewrote to create this pattern that you want to make.  it looks to me like she cut and pasted the old pattern but didn't make all the corrections she should have.  That is why the pattern gives the stitch count in sc when all the stitches have been hdc.  the turning chain height is also wrong for hdc, since it says to hdc in the second ch form hook that only gives 1 turning chain but for hdc you need 2.  that also throws off the number of chains made at the beginning.  

So given all of the inconsistencies in the pattern, If i were you I would seek a different pattern.  Would you like suggestions for other (more reliable) patterns for baby cardigans?   if so, It looks like you were making the 12 month size?  and using worsted weight yarn?  

Ravelry is a site that has a huge pattern listing.  here are their listing for worsted wt, baby size, cardigans with hood http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&fit=baby&pa=hood&pc=cardigan&weight=worsted&sort=projects&craft=crochet

You can change the attributes to search different ways; if you take away the hood attribute there are 3 pages http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&fit=baby&craft=crochet&pc=cardigan&weight=worsted&sort=projects

I ordered them by number of projects.  you can also search within for free patterns.  Ones that are in books may be available from your local public library.  

and here are jackets http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&fit=baby&craft=crochet&pc=coat&weight=worsted&sort=projects

this search is for all baby items that involve keyword hood.  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#page=1&weight=worsted&query=hood&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=projects&craft=crochet&fit=baby

and in all of these you can see patterns in other yarn weights if you omit the worsted attribute.  

you can look at project entries to see peoples comments on how they liked the pattern.  I'd try to choose one that a lot of peope have made and that has positive comments.  

Thank you :) I've found one thats perfect and much easier to follow.

you're very welcome!  I hope it is problem-free  ;)  but if you do need any help just let us know....and let us know how it turns out!  

Kathy, thanks for watching out for us to keep the site free of any legal copyright issues.

The site in question provided a link to a pattern through the wayback machine / internet archive. In general, we don't allow wayback machine links to be posted directly here on our site. Links need to be given to where a copyright owner is currently making a pattern available. If the copyright holder isn't making a pattern available currently, we don't think it's right to link to it through the wayback machine, effectively distributing the pattern without their permission.

We also generally don't allow links to another site that is linking to the wayback machine, which is what this site in question is doing. however, it's the copyright owner linking to an archived post of hers that is no longer available on her website. Since it's the copyright owner linking to her own stuff in the wayback machine, I don't have a problem with that.

So the link can be added back to the original post. :)

Archived