Trouble with multi stitch afgan

Yazzie

Question

Hi I am beginning this wonderful craft. I have made a few things that I am really pleased with.

I have done a few rows on a multi stitch afgan for my bed, I am counting the stitches and either adding them in or decreasing them if I have a sneaky one. But the problem I'm having is one edge is perfect but the other edge seams to be flaring out, any advice will be greatly received thanks .

9 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

The most common problem with either side flaring is adding too many stitches on that side.  You're either adding a stitch at the beginning or at the end of the rows.  Then as you continue, you're adding another and another.   Even if you're doing a mulit-stitch fabric, your beginning and ending stitches are the same height.  Use the following guide, depending on the height of your stitches....

SC: ch-1 for the turning chain.  The turning chain doesn't count as a stitch.  The first stitch is in the first stitch and the last stitch is in the last stitch.  Ignore the turning chains.

HDC: ch-2 for the turning chain.  Sometimes the turning chain counts as a stitch and sometimes it doesn't.  The pattern will tell you.

DC: ch-2 or ch-3 for the turning chain.  The turning chain counts as a DC stitch.  The first DC is in the 2nd stitch, unless the pattern tells you differently.  The last DC stitch is in the top of the previous row's turning chain.

TR : ch-3 or ch-4 for the turning chain.  Same rules as for the DC.

Count your stitches.  For afghans, every row should have the same number of stitches.  I count every stitch on the first 10 rows and then every 5 rows after that.  If your count is off, rip out the row and try it again.

welcome to the ville!

If you are following a pattern, please tell us the name and location of the pattern.  there may be some specific tips we can share based on the specific pattern.  Also you can post a photo so we can see the edges of your work.  

In general, it can help to put a marker in the first and last stitch of the row.  Once you have worked into those stitches and have the correct count, you can move the markers up to the newly completed row.  

If you are conssitently having to add or decrease stitches because the count is off, either the pattern is poorly written/unclear, or you are missing something about the stitch pattern.  

Patterns from your head can be wonderful.  Just make sure that each row as the same count.  For example, if you do a cluster, do an odd number, then skip those many stitches on each side.  Cluster of 3 is sk, 3dc, sk, sk, 3dc, sk.  Or if you're just skipping stitches, do a chain over the skipped stitches.  As long as it's the same count every row, it can be any combination.  Also, make sure that your first and last stitch on a row is the same height.

Thanks so much ladies the pattern is just something I'm doing out of my head so this is probably why it's wrong

I agree with RedRoses, creating your own pattern can be great!  It may require more ripping out and redoing though.  

If you are adding or removing stitches in one area of the blanket, that could make  that edge bigger.  I'd try to spread those changes evenly across the rows.

Using a template could help----a blanket or throw that you already have and like the size of, or a strip of cardboard that is the right width.  Frequently lay your crocheted piece on the template to be sure it is the right width.  rip and redo any row that has grown too much.  

Can you possibly post a photo?  

another idea would be to make yourself a smaller swatch of the stitch patterns you want to use.  that way you can work out the stitch counts without having to rip out large rows.  

also you could use some rows of just plain stitches----all dc across the row for example---to correct the stitch count, so the "fancier" stitches don't grow or shrink the count too much.  

Awe thank you so for all your advice it's quite difficult as the only people I know are knitters so I'm finding it hard to find. Anyone to help me x

In your area, there may be a group of crocheters meeting, that you could join.  Or a group that includes crocheters and other fiber arts as well.  in such a group you could discuss problems and ideas.  You could check with your local library, community centr, senior center, etc to find groups.  and you could post here, under seeking local crocheters, and on ravelry too.  Also there might be a shop that has classes or hands-on help sessions.  

There are also some very good online classes at Craftsy, as well as good blogs and books for general crocheting info.  

Archived