Pattern help - christening blanket

Gillian Campbell

Question

Have started a pattern from allfreecrochet.com called Princess Charlotte Christening blanket.  Completed to row 15 which was pretty simple cos just large Granny square.  However row's 15 and 16 of the lace border are driving me mad.  I dont know if there is a mistake in the pattern or if I am being a bit dim or if it is just badly written.  Could someone provide me with an idiots guide please.  This is what it says

Begin Lace
Round 15: Ch 1, skip ch-3 of join, *sc in next dc, ch 3, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc**, skip next 2 dc; repeat from * to next corner ch-2 space, ending last repeat at **, (sc, [ch 3, sc] twice) in corner ch-2 space, ch 3, 3 dc in next dc, skip next 2 dc; repeat from * around, ending last repeat at **; join with slip st in first sc, turn—48 ch-3 spaces.
Round 16: Ch 3, 2 dc in same sc as join, *sc in next ch-3 space, ch 3 **, 3 dc in next sc; repeat from * around, ending last repeat at **; join with slip st in top of beginning ch, turn.
Read more at http://www.allfreecrochetafghanpatterns.com/Baby-Blanket-Afghans/Princess-Charlotte-Christening-Crochet-Blanket-Red-Heart#uQT7zvkMhepO5tk3.99

Round 14 is the end of the large granny square middle which has 55 dc stitches across - corners are made up of 2dc 2chain 2dc.

When trying round 15 I cannot end at the ch-2 corner with the 3dc shell which is what I believe it says.  Also am I correct in reading that when you start the row you chain 1 but do not crochet into the same stich which is what it means by skipping ch-3 of join and that you sc into the next dc?

After that my next question is after the 3dc shell you skip 2 and sc into the 3rd dc?

Can someone tell me at the end of the row how many dc there should be before the ch-2 space?

I know once I have got this there will be a question of about the stitches that go in the chain 2 corner but one thing at a time would be a start.

Please can someone break down the row in total idiot language because I obviously have my idiot head on this week

3 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

When trying round 15 I cannot end at the ch-2 corner with the 3dc shell which is what I believe it says.--

I don't think you are at a corner here.  you end at skip 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc.  

i think you are right about how to begin row 15.

pattern is originally on Red heart site http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/little-cherub-set

it may be worth it to compare the 2 and be sure it got copied correctly on the all free site.  

That skip ch-3 join is to get you into the middle of the 3 dc.  Remember that the ch-3 join is just a dc that you're skipping.  So, you're alternating, sc in the middle of the 3dc with a 3dc cluster in the middle of the next 3dc.  The skip 2 dc is skipping the 3rd dc of a set and the 1st dc of the next set.

+    |||     +     |||    +

| | |  | | |  | | |  | | |  | | |

For the corner, the last 3dc cluster will be made in the 2nd dc, skipping the 3rd dc in the set before the corner and the 1st dc in the corner.  Then you'll sc, ch-3, sc, ch-3, sc in the corner's ch-2 space.  To finish the corner, you'll ch-3, 3dc cluster in the 1st dc.  Although, to me it looks like it's missing the ch-3 between the 3dc cluster and the sc...sc in the ch-2 space to even it out.

Also, round 1 is like a granny square, but rounds 2-14 are just dc stitches with a 2-dc, ch-2, 2dc in the corners.  So, the original pattern is not a large granny square.  My instructions above are for if yours is a large granny square.

I hope this helps!

Archived