instructions not clear on a round afghan

emma525

Question

I have a pattern for a round spiral afghan.  Round eight reads: (ch3, skip next dc, 1 dc in each of the next 6 sts, 2 dc in next loop). This round has 8 dc then a loop in each panel. No problem on this round.

Problem:  Work 3 more rounds, working 1 more dc between the 2 dc worked in each loop.  11 dc in each panel.

12 th round builds off 11 dc.

Later on 15th round (ch3, skip next dc, 1 dc in each of the next 6 sts, 2 dc in next loop) This round has 8 dc then a loop in each panel.

Problem:  Work 5 more rounds, working 1 more dc between the 2 dc worked in each loop.  13 dc in each panel.

21st round builds off 13 dc in each panel.

6 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

Are you asking for help with the part that says 

Work 3 more rounds, working 1 more dc between the 2 dc worked in each loop.  11 dc in each panel.

and

Work 5 more rounds, working 1 more dc between the 2 dc worked in each loop.  13 dc in each panel.

?

Yes that is what is not clear.  It does not make the curve look smooth if you do 11 dc in the three rows. 

The other is not reasonable to move up to that many on the next row.

Not sure if I can send the name of the pattern, etc. because of copy right.  I had the instructions and lost them.  Found them on a site for antique patterns and paid for the instructions.  The pattern is 46" round baby afghan.  It is a circular curved spiral design.  Thanks,

Listing the name of the pattern, designer, etc. doesn't violate copyright laws.  It's only when you display too much of someone's design.  I found where it was being sold on Etsy.  Linking to it would be a copyright violation, because someone is selling a vintage design and it's doubtful if they are the rightful owner.  The design may be in the public domain now.  It's a violation to sell it, if it is in the public domain.  Either way, the person selling it on Etsy is probably violating the copyright laws.

I think they want you to increase by 1 stitch each round. 

Round 8 is 8 stitches.

Round 9 is 8 stitches + 1 more between the 2 dc = 9 stitches.

Round 10 is 9 stitches + 1 more between the 2 dc = 10 stitches.

Round 11 is 10 stitches + 1 more between the 2 dc = 11 stitches.

Quite often when they want you to repeat a round and increase it each time, they'll list the number of stitches in the last repeat.  This means to build up to that number, rather than do that number in every round.

Does this help?

Each round skips first dc then dc in each of the remaining dc and then adds two dc in the loop chains 3 and repeats.

Round 8 is 8 dc in each panel.  Following the pattern for round 9 you would skip first dc then dc in the next 6 dc, add dc between 2dcs in the loop then another dc in the last dc.  Then you would add two dc in the loop.  This would be 10 dc.  Round 10 would be 11 dc,  Round 11 would be 12 dc.

If you leave off the doing dc in the last two dcs and just put one between them you will be short one, unless you do not skip the first dc.  Then the spiral looks different and not curvy.

Looking at the picture it is hard to tell what they did because they do not have it laying flat.  The spirals look even.

What I did before was just continued the pattern without putting the dc between the last two dc.  I guess the instructions bug me until I can figure them out.

Now I'm confused, because what you wrote for round 8 (sk, dc, dc, dc, dc, dc, dc, 2dc) doesn't have an increase.  The 2 dc makes up for the skip.  The next 3 rounds are a repeat of round 8, except you add an increase of 1 stitch each round.  That matches what you originally wrote.  I don't know how you're getting to 10 dc per section on round 9.

Unless someone else here reads it differently, then you have a couple of options.  First, you can try to get 9 stitches per section in round 9 and see if it lays flat and still spirals.  Next you can contact the seller and ask if she's ever made it and what she did.  Also, ask her where she got the picture, because she might know someone who has made it.

Archived