Beginner help on instructions

Tilda Fury

Question

Hi,

I'm very new to crochet and couldn't figure out these instructions after googling.  Does this mean 1 double crochet, chain 1, 1 double crochet all in the 5th chain from hook? 

Do I finish the double crochet, then chain 1 in the 5th chain from hook, then double crochet again in the 5th chain from hook?

Thanks!

1st row:
(1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc) in 5th ch from hook (counts as dc. Skip 2 ch). *Skip next
2 ch. (1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc) in next ch. Rep from * to last 3 ch. Skip next 2 ch. 1 dc in last ch. Turn

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

In the fifth chain from hook, make a double crochet, then make one chain, then make another dc. The chain will form a bridge between the dc stitches, it will not be connected to anything else.

This is called a v stitch.

Welcome to Crochetville and the wonderful world of crocheting!

I agree with Kathy.  I'm just going to add information about the sides...

The reason that you're starting in the 5th chain from the hook is that the beginning is 1 DC (the first ch-2) plus 2 skipped chains.  At the end of the row, you also have 2 skipped chains and a single DC.  So, your pattern is |VVV...VVV|.  This will make the side straight.

Even though you didn't mention the 2nd row, it's most likely a chain 2 (turning chain, counts as a DC), V-stitch in the chain 1 space of the previous row's V stitches, DC in the top of the previous row's ch-2 stitch (which is the chain closest to the first DC that you made on the previous row.)  This is called doing a V-stitch into a V-stitch.  If this is the pattern, then it will look like this...

|VVV...VVV|

|VVV...VVV| 

Archived