Scarf Edge Question

terisilv

Question

Hi all,

I've gotten addicted to crocheting scarves, and I'm crocheting a lot of them lengthwise, making a chain of about 150 or so. But what's happening is when I start the second row, it seems to draw up just a little, leaving the bottom row of the scarf looking just a bit longer than the last row of the scarf. Should I possibly be making the chain with a one size smaller hook?

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Making the chain with a bigger hook has always helped me with the curling problem. Also, if you're sure the chain is loose enough, sometimes it stops curling once a few rows are finished - it doesn't have enough weight at first.

Are you making sure you go into the top of the turning chain? If you accidentally miss that stitch (and it's sneaky, likes to hide from ya) your piece will shrink a bit with each row. Fringe hides it when you're working lengthwise and if it's just one or two rows, but your best bet is to put a stitch marker or a length of contrasting yarn in that last chain of your turning chain so you won't mis it on the way back.

yes marvie is right there it sure does hide well as i found out when working from a pattern it is like lower down when you look at it and you think it does not need to be worked into but i found out it does and i will use a stitch marker next time i do one of those patterns to make it easier to do. :hug:hook

Archived