Cupcake Hat with a Cherry - Natalija Puschkina

JacquiP

Question

I have purchased a crochet pattern for a cupake hat (Cupcake Hat with a Cherry – Natalija Puschkina) and have some questions that I would be most appreciative if someone could assist. Unfortunately, Natalija is not responding so I have taken to the forum.

The pattern is in US terminology and comes in three sizes.

When making pink part of cake, row 10 cites as follows:

10. Row: 1 ch, *8 sc tbl, 2 sc tbl in next ch* - 5 time repeat (=60 sc tbl). Sl st in top of beginning ch-1
10 a., 10 b., 10 c. Row (for size 2): in the same manner crochet
10 d., 10 e., 10 f. Row (for size 3): in the same manner crochet

Do I work row 10 only once for the first size and, if making size 2, do I work row 10 and then work row 10 a further three times? For size 3, do I work row 10 and then work row 10 a further six times (so, row 10 is worked seven times in total)?

The cherry stick instruction is thus:

'With brown: 10 ch crochet, 1 sl st in all sc'

What does ‘1 sl st in all sc’ mean. If I have 10 ch, where does the sc come from?

post-76459-0-51995600-1449938256_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question

Second question first, since it's the easiest.  I believe this is just a typo, and the SC should have been chain--so slip stitch across the chain.  If I were designing a cherry stem, this is how I'd make it, and it looks right from the photo.  A plain chain would be too floppy, a row of sc would be too thick, sl st would make the chain stiffer without adding much bulk.

First question - this is written in an unusual manner, however I think I see why it was written this way*.  Because this is an increase row, it makes sense that larger sizes would need more increases.  I think you are to execute row 10 once for the smaller size, a total of 4 times for sizes 2, and 7 times for size 3.  It would have been helpful to have the final stitch counts for the sizes, to remove doubt.

*This would preserve the row count (for the instructions), so all sizes would continue with the instructions for row 11.  This is a way to keep the pattern more succinct.  I haven't run into this before, and it gave me pause because it is a bit different, but it occurred to me for the pattern writer, this was the easiest way to write it out (10a, 10b, etc).  Otherwise you'd have to write the rest of the pattern out two more times with different whole number rows for each of the bigger sizes.

Cute hat!

Thank you so much for your response. It is amazing how many crochet patterns have typos. I though that this was also the case here. Most patterns I have bought (including in books) have errors, which is very disconcerting for people new to crochet. 

I really appreciate your assistance xxx

Archived