Help! I can't figure out what this means

Christi gonzalez

Question

I am trying to make a Diamond Square from "Four in One Charity"  And for the life of me I'm just not understanding.  I have a feeling it is something simple that I just can't figure out.  I am having trouble with row 5

Row 1(right side) Hdc in in third ch from hook and in ea across: 30sts: ch2, turn

Row2(and all even rows): hdc in each st across ch 2, turn

Row3: Hdc n first 2 sts; (*FPtr around each of next 2 sts 2 rows below: **hdc in next four sts) 4 times, rep from * to ** once, hdc in last 2 sts: ch 2, turn

Row 5: Hdc in first 3 sts, FPtr around each of the next  2 FPtr one  st back 2 rows below; (*hdc in next 2 sts, skip next st, FPtr around each of the next 2 FPtr sts 2 rows below;**FPtr around same 2 FPtr sts 2 rows below) 3 times, rep from* to ** once hdc in last 3 sts ch2, turn.

I don't understand what it means "one  st back"  please help.

5 answers to this question

I agree with Kathy.  Here's another way to think of it.  If you are right handed, you are stitching from right to left.  So the "next" stitch is one to the left.  The "same" stitch is directly below.  "Back" is one stitch to the right.  It's like going backwards.

In row 3 your FPtr stitches are in the 3rd & 4th stitches from the beginning of the row.  In row 5 you're doing your FPtr stitches into the row 3 FPtr stitches, except your starting point is after 3 hdc stitches (4th stitch).  So, your 4th stitch is an FPtr into row 3's 3rd stitch FPtr and your 5th stitch is an FPtr into row 3's 4th stitch FPtr.

I'm going to try and draw it...

Row 5  FFhhh       <-----

Row 4  hhhhh

Row 3  hFFhh       <-----      

Row 2  hhhhh

Row 1  hhhhh       <-----

When you're doing the row 5 FPtr you're going back a stitch into the row 3 stitches.

I hope this helps!!!  :)

Archived