Stuck for a week...

bmalred

Question

HI All,

I have been working on a project for a week now and trying to figure out the wording on 4 little rows.

If someone could please help me understand exactly what this is saying...

hdc2tog over side edge of row and next unworked st in rnd 12.

This wording is on the next 4 rows of st. I understand what to do just not which st exactly to start my hdc2tog in and if I keep working all the st in the same next unworked st of rnd 12 or does this mean that I am going to somewhat angle the st's out as I go in rnd 12.

Hope this makes sense to someone.

Thanks!!

6 answers to this question

What are you making?  Is it a free pattern on the net that you could link to?  Can you tell where you are in relation to the pattern photo?  

Is this wording just on the first stitch of the next 4 rows?  If so, it sounds like you are starting to shape something that will cause the edges to curl over, if my imagination is working correctly.

Or all stitches across?  Actually once you did that for 1 row, you will have essentially sewn the side seam together with the top, so not sure where you'd go from there.

Oh, he's adorable!

OK, I was on the right track - you are transitioning from the foot to the leg, and you are having to 'turn the corner' to shape the heel.  I'm going to paste a little more of the pattern, because the 3 rows are the foundation of the heel:

Prior - was worked in continuous rounds of 27 SC

Row 13 (heel begins): Hdc in next 8 sts, turn; leave remaining sts unworked—8 sts.

Row 14: Ch 1, sc in next 9 sts, turn; leave remaining sts unworked—9 sts.

Row 15: Ch 1, sc in first st, hdc in each st to last st, sc in last st, hdc2tog over side edge of row and next unworked st of Rnd 12, turn—10 sts.

In row 13 and 14, you are making 'short rows'; instead of going around and around as before, you make 2 rows (turning after each row) using only about a third of the 27 stitches that were in the round foot part - this will create a little 'hill' (part of the back of the heel).  

What is interesting that in row 13, you make HDC 8 stitches (turn), and row 14, you make 9 SC - but doesn't give details on how.  I'm going to assume, because you had been working continuously in SC, and row 13 transitions gradually from SC to HDC, that you make the 9th stitch of row 14 into the SC in round 12 that was in front of the first stitch of ROW 13.  I hope that makes sense.

Now, when you make row 15, which is 10 stitches, you aren't facing a nice gradual transition between row 14 and round 12 as you did before between row 13 and round 12--it's more of a cliff.  This is why it is telling you that the 10th stitch of row 15 is a stitch which works into the side of row 14 and round 12 - this will shape this side of the 'hill' more gradually.

This is a lot easier to do than you might think with all the words I used to describe it.  I'll try to diagram this for you, back later...

This is crude, I hope you are familiar with crochet diagrams and that this makes sense.  X is SC, T is HDC, the T with 2 legs is 2 HDC together.  The arrows show which direction the rows are made in.

The black row is round 12, red is row 13, green is row 14, blue is 15.  The end stitches are a bit distorted, which they would be (though not quite so much in real life!) because they are 'reaching' a bit.

post-13625-0-27428500-1441828803_thumb.jpg

Archived