A comusing pattern....Help!

Rosiekg123

Question

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, please? I have been making a crocheted sweater and am having real trouble with the sleeves as part of the pattern doesn't make sense!

So he pattern goes:

Foundation row

Next row

Next row (ws)

1st row

2nd row

3rd row

Then at the end if the instructions for the 3rd row it says 'work two rows more in pattern.'

Now, I understand that I have to carry on the pattern but I have no idea which rows it wants me to repeat to complete the pattern! As the next row is marked '4th row'. Can anyone shed any light on this one? I have started these sleeves about 5 times over getting very frustrated! Oh and if it helps the sleeve is created using a shell lace pattern (I think that is what it is called)

Many thanks Rosie

x

4 answers to this question

Is this a free pattern that you can give us a link to?  

Some stitch patterns start with a unique setup row, then repeat row 2 over and over, or row 2&3, or row 2&3&4 etc.; it sounds like this may be the case.  Better written patterns will define the pattern repeats clearly, it sounds like maybe yours didn't.

Sometimes shells are worked in identical rows one on top of the other (common with V-stitch type shells), sometimes they are offset in a 2 row pattern, alternating with whole shells and half shells on each end (common with full shells); but there's all sorts of variations.

Unfortunately it is a pattern I paid for I expected the pattern to make sense as it is a sirdar pattern it is pattern number 7075 sirdar if it helps to look at a picture.... The shells are offset so the row above sits between two shells of the row below. I have been fine for the whole of the front and back pieces but for some reason the sleeves just don't work!

That was quick...this pattern?

So, the sleeves (assume it's starting at the wrist?) looks like a row or 2 of sc, and I'm going to guess that the lace (I wouldn't call it a shell; lattice maybe?) repeat is something like

1) chain x, skip y stitches, sc in next stitch

2) x sc over each chain loop, x sc into each sc

3) some sort of variation of row 1, but offsetting the chain loop placement 

4) same or similar to row 2

So if you followed the pattern for 2 rows after wherever "3rd row" left off (per your post), you'd figure out which chain loop row to follow (2 or 4 in my example) so the placement is right (offset from the pattern below it)

I hope that makes sense.  The fabric is 'sort of' a 2 row repeat (make a chain row, then sc over the chain row) but the chain row position alternates.

Edit, I just realized that you said "you'd been working on the sweater" but this stitch pattern is used on the body too (which most patterns tell you to work first), so I'm not sure I've shed any light.  :think

Nice looking pattern, and welcome to the 'ville by the way!

Archived