Afghans for Chronically/Terminally Ill Campers

CityGirl

I don't know if anyone's posted about this yet, so here goes....

The Victory Junction Gang Camp is a not-for-profit camp in North Carolina that serves children with chronic or terminal conditions like HIV, cancer, heart disease and epilepsy. The campers go free of charge for a week, and they send *every one of them* home with a stuffed bear and a handmade afghan. They operate year-round with 125 campers per session--that's a *lot* of afghans!! :eek

They're looking for donations of afghans that are 30-40" by 40-50". There is no request for specific materials (though I'd bet something washable is preferred), but kid-friendly colors are also requested. The postal address of the camp is on the page with the link above, and afghans can be sent right there.

Thanks for your help!! :D

Wow, this sounds like a great charity, thank you for posting about it!

In looking at the page I just noticed one tiny detail...

Afghans:

Each camper will be able to take a handmade afghan home as a souvenir from camp.

• The size of the afghans should be between 35-40 inches wide by 45-50 inches long.
  • Please use colors that will be interesting and attractive to the children.

I just wanted to note the measurements, don't want anyone to make a blanket that is too small!

thanks again for posting! I'll keep them in mind for a One Small Thing blog shout out.

Ro

Archived