Pattern Stitch Help

louwho6874

Question

Hello,

I am new to this site and there looks to be a lot of info and I am looking forward to exploring.

I do have a question about a pattern I am working on. It is for an ear that will be attached to an stuffed elephant and here is how it reads/starts:

Make 7 chains

R1 sc 5, 4 sc in next st, (you should be on other side of work by now) sc 4, 3 sc in last st. (total 16 stitches)

I must be missing something or the chain is incorrect because no matter what I do I can not get 16 stitches from 7 chains. What am I missing?

Thank you for any help in advanced!

Cindy

4 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

you are working around both edges of the chain.  this is a common way to make an oval shape.  you work along one edge, make a bunch of stitches in the end chain, then pivot the piece and work down the other edge, and make a bunch of sts in the other end st.  here is a tutorial illustrating it with double crochet http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-double-crochet-an-oval/

​This reminds me so much of my first crochet dilemma!  I had made several things in straight stitch, but decided to make a doily.  It stated "ch 5, join.  Make 12 sc in ring"  For the LIFE of me, I couldn't figure out how to put 12 sc in 5 stitches!!!  I finally called my husband's aunt, who crocheted a large tablecloth every two weeks!  She said: "You put the 12 sc in the ring, not in each stitch!"  DUH! :embar

Archived