Need help with a pattern online :)

June Madeleine Waaler

Question

Hello :) completely new here! i started crocheting a couple of months ago, and ive become pretty decent i think. i make a lot of baby clothes and find it really fun.

well, i was looking at redheart.com and saw a free pattern for a baby onesie, and so i started. was doing really good, but now i am completely stuck. haha. this is the pattern im talking about: http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW4738.pdf

im currently stuck on the "upper back". 

"Row 3 (sleeve shaping – right side): Ch 8 (9, 10) for sleeve base ch, hdc in 3rd ch from hook (2 skipped ch count as first hdc) and in next 5 (6, 7) ch, hdc in each st across, turn—52 (60, 66) hdc. Rows 4-7: Repeat Row 3 four more times—80 (92, 102) hdc. Work rows of hdc until Upper Back measures 5 (6½, 7½)” (12.5 (16.5, 19) cm) from dividing row, end with a wrong side row. Fasten off." 

on row 4-7 it says repeat row 3. But am i supposed to repeat everything on row 3? even making new sleeve bases?? find that a bit odd... or am i simply supposed to just hdc back and fourth for four rounds? 

I find this pattern really hard to follow :( but i will not give up!! haha, please any advice for a newbie?

1 answer to this question

The sleeves grow out of the middle back (will look sort of like 'wings'), actually this starts with round 2.

Looking at the # of stitches for the smallest size: 

After row 2, you have increased the mid back to 45 stitches--on 1 side.  

Row 3 starts the same as round 2, where in the same fashion you chain 8, work across the chain and the mid back and ended up with 52 stitches--You gained 7 stitches, as you did in row 2, but on the other side.

You do this 4 more times, increasing by 4rows x 7stitches=28 stitches, until the total # of stitches across the mid back are 80.  You are creating the backs of the sleeves, growing by 7 stitches at alternating sides.

When you get to the left and right fronts, you will stitch across the garment fronts and into the free (unused) loops of the chains that created the increases in the underarm area.  This will create the sleeve fronts.

So, the only seam you have to do is across the top to join the tops of the sleeves and shoulders.

PS welcome to the 'ville!

Archived