Need help with Bozena Dress pattern from Crochet lace Innovations book

#1Crochetfan

Question

Has anybody finished the Bozena Dress by Doris Chan?

I am totally stuck on the end of round 3 with the beginning corner. When I look ahead to round 4, it starts with doing a bobble in a ch1 space but that can't be right when the row before started with a ch3 space.

I wasted a good part of my day working these rows up and ripping them but I now have given up.:(

5 answers to this question

i haven't made it but i have the book.  Where exactly are you in the pattern?  

to me it looks like round 3 ended with a shell and then an sc.  round 4 starts with ch2, dc in beginning space, ch 1, bobble in next ch1.  But I could be looking at the wrong section.  

Are you on ravelry?  here are projects of the dress that people have posted there http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bozena-dress/people  You might find helpful notes there, or in-process photos that would help. 

and here is Doris' group http://www.ravelry.com/groups/doris-chan-crochet where you can post questions to get help with her designs.

I will be happy to try to help you figure it out, but you may get better help in that forum.  

I actually checked Ravelry first, but I doubt I will get much help. I didn't see any revisions to it, either. It seems most people have done this project years ago and yet they all were able to get through round 3 and 4 of the yoke to complete it.

From the very first row of the yoke, this dress pattern isn't clearly explained. I am doing the XS one.

-Row 1 starts with a ch4 and at the end of the row you dc into the 3rd chain which I am assuming forms the space that you sc into, in row 2, because there is no other beginning spaces.

-Row 2 - I get 15 sets of bobble shells but after the 16th one it is specified to leave off the ch1, sc. I had to end with a sc into the only sp left and did a sc into the first sc of the row. It doesn't look right and doesn't mesh with her pattern.

-Row 3- I have no problem doing the 3 corners, but when I get to the beginning corner at the end of the row, there is only a regular shell and , if the corner is split where are the other two double crochets to make up the increase shell for the corner?

Row 4- the beginning of my row 3 has a ch3 sp, sc, ch3 sp yet it is specified to work into a chsp? I don't have that.

I appreciate any tips at this point.

I'm sorry, I cannot completely visualize the yoke. Doris' patterns have this lovely top down construction that fits great but on the 2 tops I've made from the Everyday Crochet book, I had to really concentrate to get the yoke started.  I am not able to swatch this right now, and actually making it is what it would take for me to "get" it.  

Did you look through the project photos and notes?  for example, the yoke photo here http://www.ravelry.com/projects/austrianknitter/bozena-dress might be helpful maybe, it is a S.  

I would encourage you to post your detailed question in the ravelry Doris forum, the moderator is really extremely helpful, as will be anyone there who has made it and can remember, and sometimes Doris posts as well.

Thanks,Magiccrochetfan! I realize I am not the only one having issues in this spot. I realize that where I am stuck, it should end in the middle of the beginning corner. I will have to fudge the corner in a way to make it look okay.

I will look through the message boards on Ravelry later. Thanks, once again.

As for the next row, row 4, even though it doesn't start where she has it written, the pattern has a basic sequence where , if I follow the pattern sequence, hopefully it will work up okay. It really isn't written correctly, as far as I'm concerned so I am not liking this pattern. The melisande vest had a wrong total of stitches in one of the rows, but other than that, that pattern worked up perfectly.

I was to work on a sample one and then do another for my dd but this project is going to take longer than thought.

Based on my experience and on posts i have read of others' experience, the first yoke rows are the most difficult to understand from the written word. I personally would not fudge in those first yoke rows, because most likely the problem is not the pattern but the fact that my lightbulb has not lit up yet. Again, i would post my specific question in the Doris group on ravelry. Last night i searched there a bit and did not see other posts about this problem.

I really wish i could be more help! :-(

Archived