Help with sock pattern

shamirhila

Question

A little backround, in using a pattern that started with the toes and I worked in rounds.

I finished the gusset with 60 st.

Than I started the stage the pattern called "turn heel". And there is where the trouble began.

The first row I did with no trouble. The heel part is worked by rows. The first row goes as follow: sc in marked at and in each 14 sts, place marker in st just made, 2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 5 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in next st, place marker in st just made, sl st in next st, turn- 11 sc between and including marked heel sts" the only thing I don't understand is the summary of the sts because I counted more than 11 sts from the beginning of the row.

My next problem is the next row - so many questions!

So the row goes - "ch 1, sc in first st, 2 sc in next st, sc in each of next 7 sts, 2 sc in next st, sc in marked st, sl st in next unworked foot st, turn - 13 sc."

So, the questions:

1) the first sc - is it the sl st from the last row or the marked sc that follows it?

2) I think that I understood that the last sl st is only one... But it's only half the row before? It's okay?

3) the next row (that I didn't wrote) is more sts than the last one so I'm working on stiches from the last rows?

I think that's all for now...

I'm really sorry for the really long post, I'm still a beginner and I started this pattern a lot of times because I messed up and I want to make it right..

So thanks for any help :)

1 answer to this question

1:  Heels are usually worked (at least in part) over only a subset of all the stitches around the foot.  The row considers the first 15 stitches as 'foot stitches', positioning you for the right point to start the heel turn. Then you place a marker to mark the new beginning of the heel turn - what follows is 11 stitches.  

2: The half row is the 'turning the heel' part.  The other stitches are referred to the 'foot' part in the next row.

3: The gusset should be getting wider working from the foot to the heel.  The last stitch of the this row is worked beyond the 11 from the prior heel turn row, note it says 'next unworked foot st'.

You are more or less making a hill shape, it will get taller and wider, and because you are grabbing a stitch from the foot part, it will cause a 3D 'turn' that will become more evident when you do more rows.  

Archived