What is the softest crochet stitch to use to make a scarf with bulky yarn

Muriel Dulieu Holzer

Question

I am a beginner. I bought a really nice and thick alpaca/merino bulky yarn. I made a scarf with the single crochet stitch. Unfortunately my stitches feel very hard to the touch and the scarf is very rigid. I tried different sizes of crochet but the result is not much softer with a larger crochet hook. Is there a stitch that I could use so that I could feel how soft my yarn is and that would make my scarf very flexible. I prefer stitches that don't leave holes in the fabric.

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

Single crochet is the most dense stitch. Have you done any of the taller stitches? Half double, double, and triple. http://www.nexstitch.com/v_crochet_videos.html

I would probably use triple to make it flexible.

With a bulky yarn, you do need quite a big hook; what size hook did you use? If it feels hard and rigid, it sounds like you probably worked very tightly.

Also do you know the name of the yarn?

Thank you!
I have not used the taller stitches as I was afraid to have holes in the fabric but I will try.
I use the blue sky bulky polar bear yarn https://blueskyalpacas.com/yarns/bulky/
I started with a 10 mm hook, then switched to a 15 mm then went back to a 12.5 mm hook.
I did work very tigtly at first but then I tried to loosen up but it is not enough to make the scarf pleasant to wear.

I was wondering if I would get a more pleasant result by knitting this type of yarn. I prefer to crochet though.

That is big! Honestly i was thinking it would be better knit if you dont want holes.

I dont know if it will work with such bulky yarn but linked dc is a stitch that is taller but eliminates the space between sts. You can google linked double crochet to see tutorials.

It is hard to know what kind of stitch, size of hook, etc will work best to give the effect you want with a specific yarn....swatching a sample tells the story :-)

Glad you found a stitch you like in the yarn!

Archived