Extra stitch by mistake in a ripple pattern...help!

Vanessa Trupiano

Question

Hello all! I'm following a pattern (found on this blog http://www.handcraftingwithlove.net/yarn/pat-ripple.html). I'm not sure if I'm misreading the pattern or something, but for some reason at the start of each new row, theres an extra stitch. I'm not sure how this is happening and not sure if this is supposed to happen since nothing about an extra stitch is mention in the pattern. Can someone help me please?? Thank you!!

6 answers to this question

welcome to the ville :hook

are you sure it is extra?  have you counted your sts?  you should have the same number as you had in row 1.  sometimes just by looking, there appears to be an extra, but it will actually be cancelled out by a decrease later in the row.  be sure to only count the decreases as one stitch; count the tops of the stitches, not the posts, to be sure.  

if you do have one more, you are either not doing enough decreases, or too many increases....you wil have to look carefully to find the problem.  you can post a photo here as that wil help diagnose the problem.  

In the second row it looks like you did the dc in the same stitch as the starting chain but in the new one you haven't done that.

post-10430-0-37335700-1416246376_thumb.jpg

i think on some rows you are skipping a stitch at the beginning and on some rows you aren't.    on this row, after you do the turning chain, just skip the next stitch and i think it will work out.    

2 other suggestions:  I'd mark the center stitch of the in

i do not know what happened to the end of my post, it was like Crochetville turned off for a minute !  

I would mark the center stitch of the increase ( 3 dc into same st) because that is where you want to base the next increase.  Also you may want to mark the top of your turning chain just so it is easy to identify.  Also, i suggest practicing the stitch pattern on a small swatch before starting a large piece.  the pattern does tell the amount of stitches you need, the multiple, so you can make any size you want. I would do 3 multiples plus the extra sts as stated in the pattern.

Archived