Back loop crochet continuous rounds look but in rows

Verinique

Question

Hello everyone  :hi !

I'm a crochet beginner but I LOVE IT already!!  :manyheart  I'm new to the crochetville community and I'm very happy to be part of it  :yay ! I've read several topics and everybody is very nice and helpful!  :)   

I was wondering if someone knows a way to recreate in rows the look of a back loop slitch in continuous rounds. I would really like to make a shawl with that same look. Since it's in rows I have to "switch" sides so back loop crochet all the time doesn't give the same look (compared to continuous rounds). I tried to reverse front loop when I was supposed to be on the "wrong" side but it's still not the same look. Do you know how? Can you help me out?

Thank you all so much for your time and knowledge.  :hug

Here is a photo of my hat with the back loop stitch in continuous rounds to show you what I'm talking about. 

post-73238-0-16380700-1415082546_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

As far as I know, you can't reverse directions and get the look you want.

What you can do is stop at the end of each row, tie off, and cut the yarn. Go back to the beginning to start the next row. All rows start along 1 edge and end along the opposite edge.

If you leave a long tail at the start and end of each row, you can have some fringe. Otherwise, you'll have to tie off and weave in all the ends.

I'll add to what RealDeal said, that if you do weave in yarn ends on each row, the last few inches on each edge of each row will become more bulky, and that changes the look and feel  of the piece.

Welcome to the ville!  

Thank you for your answers!  :)

Do you think that if I crochet a border around the piece it will hide that "bulky" feeling at the end of each rows? Moreover do you think it's possible to do a border around the piece since at the end of each row it will not be a "real" stitch but the tie off and on the under side at the beggining of the row it will be the slip knot?

Since I'm new to crochet maybe I don't see it well... What do you think?!

Again thank you so much 

:ty 

You can put a border around all the edges if you want, you just have to work into the side of the stitches where you can't work into the top of the stitch.  

adding a border will not decrease the bulkiness, it will only add bulk. 

This method of always starting each row new at the same edge, and ending all rows at the opposite edge, has long been used to make many Native American rugs.

I find I can use this method, and not have fringe, but also not have a lot of bulk around the edges by doing 2 things:

1 - Change color a lot. This puts the attention on the colors and not so much on the edges.

2 - Before weaving in, make sure the ends are tied, then weave straight in. Don't weave back and forth, which makes the area fatter and fatter. As you weave into each row, stagger the lengths you go, so they are not all being snipped down the exact same. For example, the first end might be woven in for 3", the next one for 4", the next for 2.5", the next for 3", etc. This will keep the outside edges much flatter.

If you do decide to have fringe, leave the ends a bit longer than you want so you can trim it straight later.

Be sure the fringe is tied tightly at both ends, then add extra fringe if you want it thicker. Once you are pleased with it, trim straight across the bottom of the fringe to straighten it.

Archived