Opera Jacket

Rainbowis

Question

Hi Every body,

Long time since I was here, I now stated to continue what I had stopped working.

I need help, I am working on Opera Jacket pattern and i stopped at Red 5 don't understand it and don't know how to work it.

Rnd 5:Sc in each St around and at the same time evenly special Inc of 34 [34, 34, 36] sts. (238 [254, 270, 284] sc).

Thanks

16 answers to this question

I'm sorry I didn't mean any disrespect and I don't mind helping and am not bored and your reply is not fair at all.. In fact my favorite part of the day is when I can help someone and that's what I was trying to do before. It's just that you were given answers for rnd 4 in the other post and didn't seem to understand them. That's why I think for beginners it's better to learn how to do things with smaller projects and get the feel of what to do before tackling the bigger projects.

Among the other crocheters that you know, are there some who can look at a picture and crochet from the picture?  Maybe they could help you.  On Ravelry are several projects made from this pattern that have good pictures.  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/opera-jacket/people

Sunshine Harbaugh's project has quite a few photos that show the jacket well.  

Rainbowis, you posted "If I use smaller project I'll learn what is in the smaller project only, but the big one has full picture."

the point is, that by doing smaller and simpler projects, one learns to understand patterns and general crochet construction.  then it is easier to understand more complicated patterns.  It's also very helpful to have a reference book like Crochet Answer Book by E Eckman to refer to, so you might want to get a copy of that, reading it is very educational.  

Obviously you are free to tackle whatever patterns you choose, but there is only so much help that others can give you online to help you successfully make the pattern.  You can post the lines you have difficulty with, but we can't see what you've made to identify any errors in previous rows that are causing problems now.  

Actually maybe in your home town there is another crocheter who could sit down with you and help you learn some of this---have you considered looking for hands-on crochet lessons in your area?  

another way to do the increases is to divide the piece into equal sections with markers, then do the same number of incs in each section.  so if you need to do 36 incs, fold the piece in half and place a marker at the halfway point.  then fold each half in half and place markers there.  now you have marked 4 roughly equal quarters.  do 9 incs in each quarter.  as long as they are fairly evenly spaced within the quarter, it will work out fine.  

Hi, again I worked as Kathy said but unfortunately it increase by 5 sts;

Meaning instead of ending with 284 it ends with 289.

248÷36 = 6.888888888

I think you will have to rip back and redo the row. If your number is not evenly divisible, skip 6 sometimes and 7 sometimes.

Sarisue

If I use smaller project I'll learn what is in the smaller project only, but the big one has full picture.

And from my point of that's better for me. If you don't like helping or bored from lots of questions don't bother youself and reply.

What other thread you mean? "Jacket" if you a moment and read my reply above you will understand, besides if you read the other thread to the end you will find where I stopped at.

Anyway thanks and also thanks for crochetville that it opens a board for helping, dicussing and learning for people like me.

I am wondering here but it might be more helpfull if you make some smaller projects and learn more about reading patterns etc before attempting this project.

Anyone reading this please read the other thread as these questions are also there and maybe someone else can explain it better or differently so the OP can understand it.

I assume the pattern tells you how to do the increase; if not then an increase is just making 2 stitches in one st of previous row.  so take the number of stitches you had at the end of the row you just finished, and divide by 34 or 36.  so for example: in the smallest size I guess you had 204 st at end of last row.  204 divided by 34 is 6.  so every 6th stitch should be an increase. 

Archived