pineapply squares blanket

BT7546

Question

Hi All, 

I am new to the site - I am a self-taught crocheter and would deem my abilities as Easy+ level. I would really like to crochet my Mother a blanket for a Christmas gift and am in the midst of deciding on a pattern. I came across a pattern for a pineapple squares throw.  The level is intermediate and I have questions with the start of Round 3 in the pattern.  I figure I might need to look for an easier pattern, however, if I'm already having issues this early on :)... but I thought I'd give it a few more attempts with the help of some much needed guidance.

Here are the directions for the first 33 rounds - my questions pertain to Round 3:

Make an adjustable ring.

Rd 1: (right side): Ch 1, work 8 sc in ring; join with slip stitch in first sc - 8 sc. Tighten ring.

Rd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in each stitch around; join with slip stitch in first sc - 16 sc.

Rd 3: Ch 2, yarn over, insert hook in first stitch, yarn over and draw up a loop, [yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook] twice in next stitch, yarn over and draw through all 4 loops on hook (counts as first 4-dc cluster) chain 3; repeat from * around; join with slip stitch in first cluster - 8 clusters.

I am having trouble what to do with the information in the bracket and in what stitch, etc. I have too many questions to really list here, so I am wondering if someone out there can break it down for me in layman's terms step by step?

Thank you in advance for any help received!

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville :hook

OK, I think this is the pattern?  http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW3094.pdf

In all honesty, if I were you I would look for a simpler pattern.  (Well, if i were *me* I'd look for a simpler pattern!  I am a relatively slow crocheter and I would not get this done by Christmas.  I just can't/don't sit and crochet for hours at a time so it takes me a long time to finish big things.)   this pattern has a lot of counting and I think will not be easy to memorize, so you can't go on autopilot.  And once you get the squares done, you have to join them together which is painstaking and time consuming.   I'd also suggest a patt that has a stitch symbol diagram or a very good closeup photo so you can tell exactly what it is suposed to look like.  (More thoughts on choosing patts from a lot of Villers in the thread linked in my signature.)

So....what you are doing is a dc cluster made over 2 stitches in the previous row.  the first cluster starts with the chain2, then you make a dc up to the last step and hold the last loop on the hook.  then you make 2 of the incomplete dc in the next stitch.  then you finish the cluster off by pulling a loop thru all the loops on your hook.  this makes the "petals" at the center that you can see in the photo that is more of a closeup.  

A cluster is one of those things that is easier to do than to describe :lol   So here is a short, clear video on how to do a cluster http://www.nexstitch.com/v_cluster_stitch.html  Lots of good info on the Nexstitch site, it is worth bookmarking.  

YOWSER!   I think Kathy is right!  That's a pretty advanced pattern--beautiful though it is!  Kathy described the action quite well, though, so you might make it through!

Archived