8 point Round Ripple

Jayashiangel

Question

I have a quick question I am currently working on this 8 Point Round Ripple and I will be using RedHeart brand yarn since I have 60 skeins on hand (purchasing any extra baby yarn right now is not possible)

The question is the center part (where you created the points) seems a little extra open (for a baby) even using a G-hook and decreasing the chain part (they call for a Chain 5, skip next 2 DC, single crochet into next dc, chain 5, skip next 2 dc, chain 5 round to first chain 5, slip stitch to first chain of chain 5 to join – (8 chain 5 spaces) When doing this I can put 2-3 fingers in the holes when I decrease it looks a little funny (squishy holes) I did a chain 3 to see if that would help)

I am concerned that it maybe to holey for their little fingers does the pictures other have shared seem a little toooo holey to you as well?

3 answers to this question

I see what you are talking about, and really it would probably be ok to leave it that way.

Since you already tried chaining 3 instead of 5 (and it didn't look quit right) maybe try compromising and chaining 4. If that still doesn't give you a flat circle, do the chain 5 as the pattern suggests.

If you are still unhappy with the holes, you could always try to make a cute appliqué to sew over the center after the blanket is finished. Perhaps a teddy bear face, or an animal face, or maybe even a star would look cute in the center of the blanket.

Good luck with your blanket!

If you follow the pattern as written, so the blanket lies nice and flat and the points are sharp, you can always go back at the end with a yarn needle and new length of matching yarn and weave it around in a circle (or a couple of times) through the 5 chain and adjacent stitches, to prevent any holes gaping. It wil not notice once you've woven in the tails.

Best of luck with it!

Archived