Help with paw for dachshund

Gem-S

Question

Hi there, I'm fairly new to crochet and I've learnt by reading a book and watching a couple of videos online.

I've bought a crochet kit to make a dachshund but I'm stuck on the paws. I can see from the picture it's a bent leg/paw but I don't understand the instructions:

Work 6 dc into a double loop and continue working in rds in a continuous spiral.

Rnd 1: 2 dc in each dc to end

Rnd 2 - 5: dc across.

Continue with a row.

Row 1: dc across.

Close back seam.

Attach yarn to top edge of paw and dc 12 sets evenly across for shaft. Continue in rnds in a spiral.

Rnd 1: dc across.

Fasten off.

I'm not sure if it's right but so far I've done the first round 1 and rounds 2-5 in a spiral but after that I'm completely lost. Please could someone help and explain it to me in simple terms?

Many thanks post-72396-0-82417900-1406037597_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Hi Gem, welcome to the ville :hook

I'm lost too , those directions do not make sense to me! It looks like a chunk of another pattern got mashed onto the paw pattern :P  Let me say I would not hesitate to contact the company that sold the kit to get help.  

I found a version of the pattern on a magazine web site, but it does not seem to include the "continue with a row" and following, unless it is in a different section.  I do see that the legs are included in the Body section, did you make that already?   http://www.craftsinstitute.com/knitting/projects/kids/toys/dachshund-ted.aspx

Are you on Ravelry (another site for crochet and knitting)?  the pattern is in their listing of patterns, and you can look at people's project photos and often that is helpful as far as seeing how things fit together.  I think you will have to sign up to see this http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ted-the-dachshund/people    Definitely seems you are not the only person to have trouble with this!  

Thanks, I did email the company last week but they haven't got back to me yet.

I'm really pleased it's not just me that's confused, I've already made the body and it seems to be different to the one you've sent me the link to. The body for this one is just 1 continuous part that you sew the paws onto.

I'll also get signed up to that site, thank you for the warm welcome and advice ????

You're welcome :-)  But if what I found is not the right pattern I'm afraid i wasn't much help!  the project page i linked to on Ravelry is the same as that pattern I think.   Still, if you look for other dachshund patterns on Ravelry, yours may be there. 

does your pattern tell who the designer of the pattern is?  You could try contacting her or him.  

I think this may be your pattern-

http://www.deramores.com/crochet-kit-by-rico-design-ted-the-dachshund

Looking at the pictures, all you would do after row 5 is another row but upon finishing the row, you will close it up. Pinch the leg so you seam 6 into 6 if you have a total of 12 stitches. This will make the end have a folded look.

I'm thinking that you are working on the front legs and how the designer words "dc 12 sets evenly across for shaft" is confusing but again, I'm basing it off looking at the picture and I may not be right but below is what I would try.

I think what she may mean is to start your first stitch inserting your hook where the end of the paw is folded. Next, you will insert your hook along the side down to where you start picking up 5 more stitches and then pick up 6 more stitches up heading back up to the fold giving you a total of 12 stitches. Do this as evenly as you can. Dc(or I should say sc in American terms) around again in each stitch and end off. Now you will attach to body. You may want to add a smidge of stuffing so it isn't floppy but I don't think it will matter as you only have two rows.

The shaft of the paw is where the leg starts.

Looking at the pictures on the Deramores website, you crochet a tube, then add an extra row (not a round) and stitch the edge closed.  This will result in a tube with a hole at the top where you continue the leg at a 90º angle to the tube.  Here's how I would modify the instructions to make it more clear:

Work 6 dc into a double loop. 
Rnd 1: 2 dc in each dc to end (12 sts)
Rnd 2 - 5: dc in each st around. 

Turn the work.

Row 6:  ch, dc 12.  Turn.

Row 7:  ch, dc 12.  Turn.

Row 8:  ch, dc 6 picking up a dc from each side of the tube to close the "knee" of the leg (i.e. the "back seam").  

Fasten off.

You should now have a tube, closed on both ends, but with a hole at the top on one side.

Attach yarn to top edge of paw.

Working in the sides of the sts/hole made in Rows 6-8, dc 12 sts evenly (should be 2 dc per st) around the opening for shaft.

Continue in rnds in a spiral. 
Rnd 1: dc across. 
Fasten off.

This picture from the website (http://cdn.deramores.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/e/ted_neu_r_ck.jpg) shows the seam at the top of the foot tube and how the remaining sts of the leg are perpendicular to the foot.  

Archived