amigurumi body parts question

Rachel Firestone

Question

I'm currently working on an amigurumi dragon. The pattern calls for magic rings to start off every single body part. While I'm working on a body part, I turn it inside out so the stitches don't curl forward and I'm stitching from the outside in, instead of the inside out because it's easier for me. (I hope that makes sense. Let's say I'm making an arm. My tail is coming from the bottom inside the arm and out through the top where I'm crocheting the rounds). But I noticed with magic rings, if you don't put a knot in it when you've completed the body part, mine comes loose even if I weave in my tail. I almost lost the first stitches in 1 piece because that happened already. I had to tie another piece of yarn on, knot it to the work, and weave further into my work. I draw the needle into a stitch next to where my tail comes out and put the needle through the loop twice before tightening it, like in hand sewing, then weave in the tail. So anyway, after I do all that, my knot is slightly visible, so I turn the part inside out again, and sew it onto the body like that.

Does anyone else do this? If not, what am I doing wrong with the magic ring/tail? I know everyone crochets differently and there's no ONE way to make something, but I was just wondering if there's a common method to securing a magic ring tail without seeing a knot

I've attached a photo of an ear that I haven't sewn the tail in on, hoping you all can understand what I mean. post-72138-0-80146000-1403928327_thumb.jpg

The second is showing that it's inside out since I know most of you can tell the difference between "front" and "back" of stitches

post-72138-0-46467600-1403928511_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advanced!

5 answers to this question

I rarely use knots, and never have in the beginning of a round like that.  I haven't had adjustable rings come loose, either.  I leave a long tail  and (with a tapestry needle) go around the inside of the ring a couple of times in the same direction the tail is pointing BUT going thru the yarn strands, not under them; then poke the needle out, anchor it discretely around a loop, and go around the other direction in the same manner.  I usually leave my end weaving until last because I usually can't rip out the weaving without shredding the yarn if I have to change something.

I never secure a yarn tail by just crocheting over it; sometimes I'll crochet over an end for a few stitches, but leave a long end and weave the rest in thru the yarn strands and in multiple directions to secure it.  If you only crochet over the yarn ends, the stitches will be a little looser, and the ends are likely to come undone.  It sounds like you are not leaving long enough ends possibly?

That's possible. It sounds like I'm just not weaving enough. You're method of weaving through the ring multiple times & then going back through the other direction is a very good idea. I usually go through once & then weave out from there into one of the rows/rounds. Which is probably why it came loose

I use a magic ring all the time and have never had it come out on me, or even loosen.  I am assuming that you are pulling that ring as tight as you can, right?  Perhaps it is the yarn that you are using.

One thing I have done, on occasion with slippery yarn, is make the magic ring an overhand knot instead of just a ring.  Then, when you pull it tight, it knots itself.  It does make it more difficult if you need to frog the project, but also keeps it nice and tight.  

For amigurumi, I usually just stuff the ends in the center of the piece along with the stuffing.  I never bother weaving them in.  But then, I also use small overhand knots (pulling the end through the last loop) to fasten everything.  I never trust myself to weave ends in well enough that a small child won't be able to undo with their normal rough playing.

I rarely use the magic circle technique, because I can get a tight enough beginning just by making two chains and crocheting the first round in the second chain. You could try this method, however if you prefer the magic circle then by all means do the magic circle.

Here is how I do the magic circle technique: Make the circle and crochet the first round. Tighten the circle, then crochet the second round. Tighten the circle again if needed. Then, using a yarn needle on the loose end, tie a knot around the nearest stitch to secure it. Leave the end hanging (there is no need to weave the end through any stitches since it will be on the inside of the toy anyway.)

Good luck with your dragon!

Ida

Archived