shell stitch clutch pattern help

mcbeich

Question

I started making this pattern that I found on ravelry by Lisa van Klaveren. However, in the shell flap part, in the first row, I have 3 sts left not 5 as the pattern says I should. I redid it twice now and recounted my sts (I have 32) and still can't figure out where I went wrong. Please help, I really want to finish this project.

6 answers to this question

actually you should have 31 sc stitches.  you chain 32, but use one chain as the turning chain, and make the first sc into the second chain from hook----so you are making 31 sc not 32.  

looking at the pattern photo, it shows that there are 2 dc at each edge (or the turning chain and a dc). then there are 6 shells.  how many shells do you have?  

i drew it out and 31 sts does work.  

I tried it on the edge of a hat I  am making and I think the   it works  if you do the first dc in the same st as the ch 3 and the last 2 dc in the last st. The pattern says do the first dc in next st and do a dc in last 2 sts Looking at the picture  it might have the  2 dc's in one st.

Edited to say I skipped a st and am rechecking the pattern as I could be mistaken.

Thank you magiccrochetfan and sarisue.  You are right; I should have 31 sts, not 32.  I looked at my work and see that I will have 7 shells across with 2 dcs at each end.  As I don't really want to start completely over, will I be OK to follow sarisue's advice or should I choose a different stitch pattern that will fit in my 32 stitches?

I think it will depend on weather you think you can finish it with what you have.  I also find I skipped a st so I need to recheck the pattern too as I could be mistaken.

Well I retried it and this time it worked as written.  I have 6 shells. Can you post a picture of what you have done? 

Archived