Juliet Collar in Crochet with Color

magiccrochetfan

Question

Mississ is wanting to work this diagrammed pattern, and I have checked the book out from the library in order to help her.  If you have the book and are interested, please join the discussion :hook

OK, Mississ, where are you with the pattern---have you started it at all?  

8 answers to this question

OK the beg. chain is 31.  Then you chain 3 for the turning ch (which subs for, and counts as, a dc), then you chain 3 more to form the half-arch at the edge of the row.  so you chain a total of 37.  Then you sc in the 10th chain from the hook.

then to continue row 1 you (ch 3, skip 2 ch, dc in the next ch, ch 3, skip 2 ch and sc in the next ch).  See how you are forming the arches you can see in the diagram?  Now you do the part in the ( ) 3 more times.  then, to finish row 1, you ch 3, skip 2 ch and dc in the last ch of the beg. chain.  

Look at the diagram and you can see how the stitches form the design.  

Done with Row 1, then I turn to the Row 2, correct? And as I am looking at the "back" of each chain for Row 2, I am wondering which loop(s) I go into to make my dc's? Do I go just into the top loop of the chain, or do I get both "front" ones?

Thanks;)

on row 2, you make your turning chain (3 chs) then you dc into the chain space---not directly into a chain stitch.  then you chain 2, then dc into the chain space, then dc into the top of dc, dc into chain space.  

tutorial on working into ch sp https://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet/crochet-in-the-chain-space

Now, if you prefer to, you could work directly into a chain stitch instead of into the space.  However doing that is more fiddly and is seldom necessary.   Working into the space is quicker and usually looks better.  One thing about working from a diagram is that some decisions are left up to you.  If you feel that working into the chain stitch looks better, you can do it that way.  In that case I'd recommend that you catch up 2 strands of the chain because if you only catch one it can stretch out more easily and look sloppy, in my expereince.  

And also on row 3 you would sc into the chain space.  

Archived