Crocheting on an already scalloped edge

kmgraziano

Question

Hi, New member and just getting back into crochet after a number of years away.  I want to crochet a nice edging on a 12 x 12" cotton handkerchief, but so far the only handkerchiefs I've found in that size with a spoke edge, have a scalloped edge not a straight edge. I'm concerned about handling those curves. Can someone point me toward any patterns or how-to sheets for this?  I've tried searching online but every time I use "scalloped" in the search, I get how to create scalloped edgings on a straight edge, like on a blanket or towel, rather than how to crochet on a scalloped edge of fabric.  If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try to explain better. :-)  Thanks for any help!

-Karen G

2 answers to this question

Here is one with a straight edge, it's a little smaller though

http://www.knitpicks.com/accessories/Cotton_Handkerchief_-_Straight_Edge__D81745.html

If the scallop is a subtle as the one on the same page, you might not have to make any adjustments.  

I've never done this, but I think the depth of the scallop would dictate how you would have to react to it.  Off the top of my head, I'd try to find a pattern where I could center a lacy pattern over most or part curve of the scallop, then make a few chains, connect to the matching point in the next scallop, repeat.  Or, instead of chaining straight across, chain a couple, slip or sc into the valley of the scallop, chain a couple, reattach at the matching point in the next scallop and repeat your pattern.

Archived