Need help with pattern please

beaglemom

Question

I found a pattern in my stash of books that I want to make but I have a question about the directions. This is a variation on a ripple pattern. The part i have a question about reads:

Beginning in 4th chain from hook, (dc2tog) 3 times, 3 dc in next 3 ch, * (dc2tog) 6 times, 3 dc in next 3 ch.    My question is, after the very first of the pattern, when you get to the (dc2tog) 6 times, does that mean 6 times in the same stitch?? You repeat this set of instructions 7 times so I am sort of assuming yes but it looks funny to me<G>.

If it helps, the pattern is called Ocean Waves Throw from a 2008 issue of Crochet Today.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

Cindy

4 answers to this question

Each dc2tog will be worked over two stitches, so when you (dc2tog) 6 times, you will end up working over 12 stitches total for that part. 

There is a good tutorial with step by step pictures of how to do dc2tog here, if you need a visual of how this stitch is done: http://crochetparfait.blogspot.ro/p/dc2tog.html

No, each dc2tog is done over two stitches . Start a dc in one st, hold back last loop, start a dc in next st, finish off the two dc sts as one. On Nexstitch there is a good tutorial, it may be called dc decrease.

Thank you SO much, the link to the visual really helped!!! Now, just to make certain I am reading this correctly, after that when it says 3 dc in next 3 ch, it really IS 3 dc in each of the next 3 chains??? I hate to sound stupid and I have made ripples before but it has been awhile...........

That is right. The increases and decreases have to balance each other. The six dc2togs decrease by six, and the three sets of three dc into one stitch increase by six.

Also you can confirm by looking at the diagram, it is easy to see the three dc into each of three sts.

Archived