Help on a pattern

rose15

Question

I was wondering if anyone could help with this pattern I have been trying.

It from the book crocheted wild animals by Vanessa Mooncie. It's the rabbit pattern and this is the part for the ears. I have done the body and head and arms with no problem, but I cannot get to grips with what this should be like/look like. I'm unsure on some stitches, I just can't 'get it'. I was sure the ears would be the easiest part.

Here it is, if anyone could advise that would be absolutely lovely.

3mm hook

chain 24

Row 1 (ws); 1 dc into second ch from hook, i dc into next 21 ch, 3 dc into next ch, 1 dc down reverse side of ch to end, turn (47sts).

Row 2 (inc) (rs); 1 ch (does not count as st) 23 dc, dc3inc, 23 dc, turn (49 sts)

Row 3 (inc) 1 ch (does not count as a st), 24 dc, dc3inc, 24 dc, turn (51sts)

Row 4 (inc); 1 ch (does not count as st), dc2inc, 24 dc, dc3inc, 24 dc, dc2inc, turn (55sts)

Row 5 (inc); 1 ch (does not count as st), 27 dc, dc3inc, 27 dc, turn (57 sts)

Row 6 (inc); 1ch (does not count as st), 28 dc, dc3inc, 28 dc, turn (59 sts)

Row 7 (inc); 1 ch (does not count as st), 29 dc, dc3inc, 29 dc, turn (61 sts)

Row 8 (inc); 1 ch (does not count as st), 30 dc, dc3inc, 30 dc (63 sts)

fasten off.

I don't know if anyone can help at all, I just thought I would ask a forum full of experience if they had an idea of what I should be doing.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

8 answers to this question

>>>>>Row 1 (ws); 1 dc into second ch from hook, i dc into next 21 ch, 3 dc into next ch, 1 dc down reverse side of ch to end, turn (47sts).<<<<<<<<

1 dc second ch from hook then do 21 dc in the ch, 3 dc in next ch, then you work in the free loops on the other side of the starting ch, doing 1 dc in each ch, turn

You will be making an oval shape going around

The "3 inc" makes the point at the tip of the ear. After the first row, you're probably putting the 3 dc into the center stitch of the last row's three. You're turning, not working across the bottom edge, so you'll have a pointy bunny ear with a flat bottom you can sew or crochet to the head. It's not really that hard. Just do exactly what it says.

Thank you for the replies. I'm sorry if the questions seem silly. I'm quite new to crochet but have followed a few patterns successfully, it was this I couldn't quite figure out, even though the stitches are not hard. 

>>>>>Row 1 (ws); 1 dc into second ch from hook, i dc into next 21 ch, 3 dc into next ch, 1 dc down reverse side of ch to end, turn (47sts).<<<<<<<<

1 dc second ch from hook then do 21 dc in the ch, 3 dc in next ch, then you work in the free loops on the other side of the starting ch, doing 1 dc in each ch, turn

You will be making an oval shape going around

I'm sorry, I'm on a slow mental day today (everything is processing slowly!).

If I dc in 22 ch how do I know which ones to leave? Is it the ones after the 21? I'm so sorry if these are silly questions.

Welcome to the ville :hook

Your questions arent silly, this is hard to visualize. See if this tutorial helps http://www.crochetspot.com/american-half-treble-crochet-stitch-htr/

You are only making the rectangle and top half circle, not the entire oval.

I'm sorry I confused you and they are right it won't be a complete oval as you go around the chain but turn at the one end and the other will be the tip of the ear so the one side will be flat. 

>>.Row 1 (ws); 1 dc into second ch from hook, i dc into next 21 ch, 3 dc into next ch, 1 dc down reverse side of ch to end, turn (47sts).

Row 2 (inc) (rs); 1 ch (does not count as st) 23 dc, dc3inc, 23 dc, turn (49 sts)<<<<<<<<<<<

You do the 22 in the chain then work on the other side of the chain and put a dc in each chain there which will be 23 dc on that side, then turn work in the 23 dc , do 3 in next stitch then do 23 dc in the dc you did first and turn again and keep doing that.

I think this is the link

both sides

Those are so cute. There's a picture here that might help

book

I'm sorry I confused you and they are right it won't be a complete oval as you go around the chain but turn at the one end and the other will be the tip of the ear so the one side will be flat. 

>>.Row 1 (ws); 1 dc into second ch from hook, i dc into next 21 ch, 3 dc into next ch, 1 dc down reverse side of ch to end, turn (47sts).

Row 2 (inc) (rs); 1 ch (does not count as st) 23 dc, dc3inc, 23 dc, turn (49 sts)<<<<<<<<<<<

You do the 22 in the chain then work on the other side of the chain and put a dc in each chain there which will be 23 dc on that side, then turn work in the 23 dc , do 3 in next stitch then do 23 dc in the dc you did first and turn again and keep doing that.

I think this is the link

both sides

Those are so cute. There's a picture here that might help

book

Please don't apologise, it's me, sometimes my brain just cannot understand things. It's not how you put it honestly, it's me!

Thank you so much for all your help. I'm sure I'm being very silly and it's much simpler then anything else I have done, but for some reason it's not going into my head  :reyes .

I'm going to give it another try maybe this afternoon and try to clear my head.

Archived