NEW to making patterns NEED help

Candice George

Question

First let me just say how HAPPY I am that I found this site!!! :c9 Everyone that I know who crochets is 1800 miles away and are not experianced in pattern writing. Although I was taught at 7 years old (26now) how to crochet, it has not been but over the past year or so I have taught myself how to read patterns but caught on like it was second nature.

The project is a baby crocodile stitch mermaid phot prop set. I have found a bunch of them and it is not that I dont want to pay for a pattern I iust have not found "the one" per say,and am hoping to avoid having to by multiple patterns to make one. I have this image so stuck in my head of what I want it to look like. I have found a bunch, some free and some paid that I like certin things about and want to try my hand at writing my own. soo..

#1- Advice on writing/designing a pattern...do you write as you go? or make it as you see it in your head and then write and make again...I guess asking for all your tips and tricks

#2- Since I am pulling ideas from 4 plus differnt patterns do I have to credit them or get permission-  The ideas only come from seeing the finished project for the most part. I know how much effort goes into the work we do let alone to design I dont want to cheat anyone.

I am a stay at home mom and I am looking toward the spring and summer doing flee markets and other things with my work and while I do have some patterns that allow you to sell finished work it would feel so great if I could get the hang of design and pattern writing and the work was all mine. So with all your help I hope I can make that happen.

Thank You

3 answers to this question

Nobody owns the concept of a baby mermaid tail that uses the crocodile stitch. You're free to come up with your own version, and there's no need to reference any other existing designs. You can study the other patterns to see how they accomplished things such as shaping.

However, when you make your design, I would suggest sitting down with yarn, a hook, blank paper, and a pencil. Sketch out your own idea, then bring it to life with your hook and yarn.

As long as you work this way, using the original designs solely as inspiration with not attempt to duplicate them, you can safely call whatever design you come up with your own.

I haven't attempted much in doing my own but I did alter/tweak a hat to make a hat for a friends toddler. I had to do so because the hat pattern for the toddler size hat was WAY to small for her head, after taking it apart multiple times and updating the number of stitches per row, marking the updates on the printed out pattern. Once i figured it out I was able to play with the pattern and fancy it up with FPDC to give it a ribbed look. So I would just see what patterns you like and play with them and definitely write down what changes you've made as you make them so you can replicate it or see where you mess up :)

Archived