A question about a confusing pattern.

kekker

Question

I have been crocheting for only 2 years so a lot of this terminology/techniques are still strange to me. I'd be very thankful if anyone could help me make sense of this.

Basically I am making my mom a vest for her birthday (cardigan). I've been using the pattern that can be found here.

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/love-cardi

I've finished the Back section of the BODY, but the otherbody part is giving me trouble. It says here:

Round 1: Ch 27, (first 3 ch count as dc, remaining 24 ch create first armhole), turn to 
work across side edge of Back, skip next 21 rows, dc in next row-end st (Row 1 of Back), working across opposite side of foundation ch, 3 dc in first ch (place marker
in center dc), dc in next 9 ch, tr in next 22 (26, 30, 34, 38, 42) ch (place marker
in first and last tr), dc in next 9 ch, 3 dc in first ch (place marker in center 
dc), working across side edge of Back, dc in next row-end st, ch 24, skip next 21 rows, dc 
in last row-end st, working in sts across last row of back, 3 dc in next st (place marker in 
center dc), dc in next 9 sts, tr in next 22 (26, 30, 34, 38, 42) sts (place marker in first and 
last tr), dc in next 9 sts, 3 dc in next st (place marker in center dc); join with slip st in 3rd ch 
of beginning ch-27 – 96 (104, 112, 120, 128, 136) sts, 2 ch-24 space. Move markers up in 
each round, using center st when 3 sts are worked in marked st.

What I don't get is how to start the round 1 in relation to my body section. I've provided a diagram for a visual.

So confused :'(

post-70761-0-40233000-1392318245.jpg

2 answers to this question

I think it would help to look at the diagram on pg. 4.  The end result is an oval, with slits for armholes.  Oval is worked around the back piece, and long chains on either side of the back will form the slits.

The back is a rectangle.  The short sides of the rectangle will become the back edge of the armhole.

The chain 27 spans the short edge of the back rectangle.  So the chain becomes a front edge of one of the armholes.  In your drawing above, the chain-hole spans the 23 rows.  You will start at the top left corner, chain 27, turn the piece 90 degrees clockwise, and make your next stitch in the bottom left corner.  Then, you will turn another 90 degrees clockwise and work into what was the underside of the back.

Does that help you visualize the start of the round?  Another way to look at it:  you made a rectangle, now you will make an oval around it, but the oval will only be attached to the rectangle at the top and bottom.

Archived