Correct crochet hook size

graysiesgrana

Question

The afghan pattern calls for a #10 afghan hook and #7 crochet hook. In order to get the correct gauge, I have to use a #5 afghan hook. What size crochet hook should I use? Since I've gone from a #10 to #5 afghan hook, should I then use a B crochet hook (4.5 mm to 2.25 mm crochet hook)? Pattern does not give a gauge for the lace panel part of the afghan. Thanks for your help.

2 answers to this question

Are you using the same weight yarn as called for in the pattern?.  You are going down to half the original hook diameter, the pattern must be designed for a much bulkier yarn than you've chosen for your project.

I think since you are so far different from the designer's tension, that you should swatch the 2 sections together.  You may have to try a couple of different sized hooks  to make sure the lace doesn't end up too tight or too sloppy compared to the afghan stitch section.

Since I still have the original afghan, I checked the weight of the two yarns and they appear to be about the same. The yarn came with the kit. I usually crochet to gauge, so this is a mystery to me. I haven't made many afghan stitch afghans, so the fact that I have a #5 afghan hook leads me to think I must have had this problem with the original afghan. When I make the lace panel, I will check it against the original panel. Thanks for your help.

Archived