Pattern crochet

Charity Harper

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

So many variables!  The short answer:  a good bit of varied crochet experience.  And patience.

What kind of thing?  Something more complex like a garment or toy, or something simpler like a washcloth or scarf?  Have you made one (preferably several coompletely different ones) before?  Making different sorts of 'things' teach you techniques of shaping, learning how crochet fabric behaves when you do x, etc. that would help you create your own design.  Even, then, be prepared to do a lot of ripping out to get it right.

Hi,

I am currently working up a pattern I thought of. I hope that I can help you. I will tell you what I did. First I decided to make something using up my stash of yarn. I decided to make an afghan using the different colors of yarn in my stash. I first was going to do crochet and make a granny square afghan, but I don't have the right colors for this (three coordinating colors and a neutral for the border). I have many colors and several skeins of these colors. I decided that instead of crocheting grannysquares that I would make a knit afghan instead and I would knit strips of each color and then after knitting 8 strips of each color, then I would crochet around them and place them in a pleasing arrangement and then join them together. Right now, I am in process of knitting the strips of color. So far I have the following colors: Amythest (dark purple), Lilac (lighest purple), Spruce green (medium green), Thyme (light green the color of lettuce), Cranberry (wine--I classify this as a red shade), Tomato red (a bright red like a fire engine), Pale green (lightest green), Pumkin (bright orange), Navy blue (dark blue), Light blue (lightest blue), Petal pink (lightest pink), Medium blue, Light blue. I believe that this is all so far. I have discovered that I have more shades of neutrals than I had thought. I have one skein of Aran, and I have seen some skeins that look like they are either Soft White or Eggshell and I found one skein of black (so far). There is one thing that I did not do and so have not mentioned it--write down your design as you go. I have not done that. I am going to write down the pattern when the afghan is finished. Until then I am keeping it in my head. Let me know if this helped you. Good luck. You can PM me if you think I can help. I will be happy to help you and tell you what I know.

Jeannie

When I write a pattern. I write it down row by row, stitch by stitch, then type it up, and make another following my instructions. I invariably find things that I have missed or miscounted stitches, so I correct those as I go and do another following my written instructions. When I have made another couple following the pattern and finding no errors, I send it to the lady who tests my patterns and she always finds some small step that I have not explained fully enough.

Fresh eyes are imperative.

Archived