My hexagons are wrong!

jemster

Question

Hello All,

I've been crocheting quite a lot of granny squares lately and had no real problems with them I decided to try a hexagon but it was totally wrong, all frilly insteand of nice and flat and sharp.

I thought it may be that one of the yarns was a  lighter than the other so I did another one with all the same wool, followed the pattern exactly and it is still frilly and wrong.

I'm obviously doing something wrong and would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

Jem

6 answers to this question

Also, what pattern are you following?

The first thing i think of is that the pattern could be in UK terms but you are used to US terms. http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/38393-usuk-stitch-name-comparison-table/

And welcome to the ville :hook

HI Sarisue and Magiccrochetfan

Sarisue I keep trying to upload the photo from my desktop but I can't seem to do it?

Magiccrochetfan - I didn't realise this! The pattern i  am using is from a book called Granny Squares by Susan Piner but I am following her own instructions for the trebles and double trebles as she describes them in the same book.

The patterns says:

round 1 - 11 trebles into the circle (12 inc the 2 chains done at the start)

round 2 - 11 clusters of 3 dtr (12 inc the 3 chains done at start).....these are worked into stitches

round 3  - chain 2 (counts as 1 tr), 2 tr in same space *(3 tr, ch 2, 3 tr) in next space:repeat from * 5 times, (3 tr ch 2 3 tr) in next space, sl st to complete rounds.......these are worked into spaces

i really am mystified as to where I am going wrong.

The pattern i  am using is from a book called Granny Squares by Susan Piner but I am following her own instructions for the trebles and double trebles as she describes them in the same book.

The patterns says:

>>>>>>.round 3  - chain 2 (counts as 1 tr), 2 tr in same space *(3 tr, ch 2, 3 tr) in next space:repeat from * 5 times, (3 tr ch 2 3 tr) in next space, sl st to complete rounds.......these are worked into spaces<<<<<<<<<    has errors

If you have written just like the pattern in the book it isn't you but the pattern.  Doing it this way you have the 3dc ch3 3dc in each sp and it shouldn't be that way. It should be 3tr in every other sp and the 3tr ch 2 3tr in every other sp. Like this

Round 3 ch 2 (counts as 1 tr) 2tr in same sp,  then the 3 tr ch2 3 tr  in next sp, then just 3 tr in next sp then 3tr ch2 3 tr in next sp etc.

around.

Hello all,

Sorry it's been a while: many thanks to all who replied to my cry for help...I have now make a sincere apology to the author of the book Sue Pinner as THE PATTERN IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! In my rush to get started I failed to notice that just to the left is an additional 'pattern note' regarding a special type of cluster that has to be used. Once I realised this and did it again the hexagon was perfect and my belief in myself restored!!x

Archived