How would I join this?

chsarrow

Question

My sister asked me to make a chevron or ripple scarf for my niece for Christmas.  She has now called and asked if I can join it so it will be circular.    I haven't ever joined a chevron...Can someone give instructions on joining it or give a site where it shows step by step?  Thanks....

5 answers to this question

My sister asked me to make a chevron or ripple scarf for my niece for Christmas.  She has now called and asked if I can join it so it will be circular.    I haven't ever joined a chevron...Can someone give instructions on joining it or give a site where it shows step by step?  Thanks....

By join, do you mean more of a cowl? For a ripple, the starting and ending ends will have points and valleys that will "notch" into each other. Once you're finished, make the two ends meet and with needle and yarn and join them invisibly. See this youtube:

post-1459-0-31222000-1385301784_thumb.jpg

Make some squares with the same number of stitches as the valleys.  Sew the squares into the openings.  It's the only way I can think of making it line up.

I'm a bit confused because the last ripple I made I noticed that the ends would have slotted right into

each other. Do you think that's a unique character of using a granny ripple?

Or I could be wrong.  Straight ripples really aren't my 'thing'.  I was looking at an afghan my Grandmother made with squares going across with ripples on either side.

If they don't line up the squares could work.  If they do line up then you won't need the squares.

Archived