Vivian Boswell

Question

4 answers to this question

:welcome

Generally, hook sizes are just recommendations and you don't have to use the size stated with a pattern. We all work at different tensions so depending on what we're making sometimes using a different hook than stated in the pattern is necessary so we can match the gauge of the pattern and make sure the finished item is the right size. This is not really too much of an issue with blankets and things that won't be worn. 

However, an S hook is pretty big, and significantly bigger than an N hook. Larger hooks like the S are usually for "speed crochet" where you work with really bulky yarn, or several strands of a lighter yarn held together, to make a piece very quickly. The substitution could be made, however you might need to make some other changes as well like a longer foundation chain and more stitch repeats/extra rows to reach the desired size blanket, you might even want to use a different yarn/need more yarn than called for. 

Your gauge might not be as different from the pattern gauge as I'm thinking it might based just on the hook sizes. Is the pattern you are using available online somewhere, so we can take a look at it? It might help figure out if the N hook will work out with the pattern or help figure out any other changes that might be necessary if we can see the pattern you're using. 

Here is a link to the pattern http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60509A.html

The blanket is made with 3 strands of yarn held together at the same time.  I think you are going to need the S hook, the N hook will be difficult to work with using 3 strands--yarn too thick, hook to small to manipulate it properly.  If you use the N hook and fewer strands, you would have to make more stitches across, and rows long, to achieve the same size blanket as Gingerbread Girl said.

Personally I wouldn't recommend this pattern to a beginner.  The stitch is easy, but with multiple strands it's a little harder to see each stitch clearly.  Don't let me stop you from making it, but just be aware of that extra challenge since you are so new to the craft.

I agree with Granny Square that 3 strands of worsted yarn together is too much for an N hook. It can be done - it's just a little difficult and I think the resulting fabric is a bit too dense and stiff. (Just my personal opinion though, if you are happy with the resulting fabric that's all that matters!) Two strands held together and worked up with an N hook is ideal, I think. Though if that is what you would choose to do you will need to do a gauge swatch first so you can figure out how many stitches you need to add to get the right size blanket when you're done. Since it's just single crochet that will not be difficult to do. 

If you do want the S hook, they're pretty readily available online. I have never seen one in any of the stores in my area so I know they can be difficult to find locally.

Ultimately it's totally up to you. If you try using the 3 strands with the N hook and find that you like the way it works up and you don't have any difficulty with it, then go for it!  :)

Archived