Need help understanding pattern

Duchessofdp

Question

Hi all,

I have been working on the following pattern. Popcorn Ripple Crochet Afghan but can not get it to work out the way that it looks in the picture. The way I am reading it is that I need to do a 5 dc cluster, then 9 dc's in the next 9 chains, then 5 dc all in one chain, then 9 more dc's and then 5 dc clusters again and so on. This is how I did it, yet when I turn it, my stitches don't line up when I get to the 5 dcs in the one chain. Additionally, when I look at the picture, they have 10 dc clusters all together, whereas I only have 5. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. Can someone help me? I have already looked through so many patterns and even tried a few, but didn't end up liking the worked up once I got going on them. I really don't want have to frog this and start over yet again. I've included a picture so you can see my work. TIA for any help you can give me! 

5 answers to this question

That's a confusing pattern to read through. Are you doing the 5 dc cluster as one stitch worked over 5 dcs?

I can't tell much from the picture, but the "bumpy" stitches are the popcorn stitches and don't start until row 5.

The 5 dc in one stitch is your peak and the 5 dc cl worked over 5 stitches is the valley with the 9 dc between each.

It is confusing! I am doing a 5 dc cluster in each of 5 stitches. So there are 5 stitches with a 5 dc cluster in each. Is that the right way to do it?

Where I seem to be hung up is that when I turn it, all of the stitches line up perfectly until I get to the 5 dc's shell. The instructions say to create another shell at a point that would put it on the side of the first one instead of centered on top of it. Then too, all of the subsequent stitches would be off. I've tried mapping it out but can't make sense of it. Do you have any idea if there's something I'm doing wrong?

Look back at the "abbreviations" paragraph. There is a description of how to do the stitch. The 5 dc cl is 1 stitch that is worked over 5 stitches in the previous row. You are only doing this one time not 5 times; it's just that the one "5 dc cl" is made by working in 5 stitches.

"5 dc cl; 5 Double crochet cluster: Keeping last loop of each double crochet on hook, double crochet in each of 5 stitches indicated, yarn over and draw through all 6 loops on hook."

So you are doing the 5 dc cl over 5 stitches which results in 1 stitch in the new row (this is the valley of the ripple), then dc in each of next 9 stitches, then the 5 dc in one stitch (this is the peak of the ripple), then dc in each of the next 9 stitches.

Oh my goodness! That is so confusing to me. I wondered whether I was supposed to do it over 5 stitches or all in one stitch. I looked up video tutorials on how to do the cluster and it showed doing it all in one stitch. Anyway...I really appreciate you taking the time to try to help me. I finally decided to just rip it out and start over and am doing a simple shell stitch afghan. I became paralyzed this year due to a spinal stroke and am now a paraplegic. Because of this, I have lots of time to crochet (there's the upside, huh? lol) and am trying to make an afghan for my hubby, my children and all of my "in-law" (or in-love) children. I decided just to rip this out and start over with something simpler so that I could get these done. If they're too complicated I might end up giving up on it. Ok, so now that I've told you way more info than you ever wanted to know about me, I'll close this novel. haha Thx again so much for your help!!! 

Archived