*(dc2tog) 6 times

lilkimxo

Question

Very very new (again..lol) to crocheting, and though I have googled what an astric means in a pattern I'm confused still.  Things were moving along fine then came *(dc2tog) 6 times. sigh. So this is the Harvest Ripple Afghan from the book called Vanna's Lifestyle. I've read where some reccomend writting out the directions so it makes sense to them, but I so want to be sure I am correct in my understanding. So if someone wouldnt mind taking a looksie here. thank you

Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook (beginning ch counts as dc), (dc2tog) 3 times, 2 dc in next 6ch, *(dc2tog) 6 times,....

(dc2tog) 3 times = does this mean I am going to dc 2 together into the same chain 3 times?

2 dc in next 6ch = does this mean I am going to do two dc's into each of the next 6 chains?

*(dc2tog) 6 times = hum are they just using an astric instead of a number 2 like earlier, in that I will do the previous step yet again?

3 answers to this question

An asterisk marks a point where you'll begin a repeat in a pattern. Usually it will say later in the row Repeat from * x number of times or to end of row. 

(dc2tog) 3 times means you'll be working a double crochet decrease over two stitches three times. You'll work over a total of 6 stitches, as each decrease uses 2 stitches. 

2 dc in next 6 ch - You'll work 2 dc stitches into each of the next 6 sts. You'll have worked 12 stitches in total after this part. 

*(dc2tog) 6 times - Similar to above, but you'll do the decrease 6 times instead of 3 times. I assume there is further instruction beyond this, and upon completing the next steps and you need to repeat the pattern, you'll begin the repeat from the *. 

(dc2tog) 3 times = means you will be working over the following 6 stitches.  Dc stitches 1 & 2 together, DC stitches 3 & 4 together, DC stitches 5 & 6 together.  This is a decrease, 6 stitches will become 3.

2 dc in next 6ch =  this is an increase.  You described it correctly

*(dc2tog) 6 times -----  is there something after that?  Meaning, there may be more steps that are repeated.  Usually a pattern will tell you where to stop a reapeat, like "* blah blah blah *, repeat between * until 1 stitch remains, blah in last stitch"

oops, typing slow again...

Archived