Afghan hooks- need some help.

cristin~FL

Question

Okay, I'm not really sure how to do an afghan stitch or what specific hook I should buy?

I'm looking at joanns.com and wanting to try one. They have 10", 14" and a 22" hook with a flexiblecord in the middle. Why the different lengths? I don't get it?

Any recommendations? Of what to get or what to avoid?

7 answers to this question

The size and style all depend on what you want to make. If you are looking to do dishcloths and other small width items then a 10 or 14 inch is great. If you want to make blankets then you would need the longer 22" one.

Also they have Afghan hooks and then double-ended hooks. The double-ended hooks are for a form of Tunisian Crochet, which uses two separate strands of yarn and are worked from both sides. Traditional Afghan Crochet is worked on one side only with one strand of yarn. The stitches are the same for both methods, just after completing a row you would switch sides with the double method. You can use a double-ended hook for traditional Afghan Crochet, but you can't use an Afghan Hook for the different Tunisian Crochet.

I have Silvalume Double-Ended Hooks and will just put a knitting needle point protector on one end or wrap a rubber band around the end I am not using when I use them to do traditional Afghan Crochet. I have been wanting to invest in some cabled Afghan Hooks to use for blankets but haven't done it yet. But do have a cabled double-ended that I sometimes use.

If you think you will want to do blankets, then invest in the cabled hooks. If you are content doing projects less than 18"-20" wide or doing panels, than the solid Afghan or Double-ended hooks are for you. If you think you will do both, then you should get both, because doing smaller projects on the cabled hooks are a pain in the rear.

Sorry to ramble so long, just wanted to be sure to point out all the pros and cons that I know of.

not rambling at all. thanks for your input!!

I think I'll go with one of the smaller ones for now, try a few dishcloths and invest in the cabled hooks if I end up liking it. I LOVE the look of it and I'm sure I'll go hog-wild with it, but after giving it a little thought, I can't invest in large time-consuming projects right now before the holidays. (AND dishcloths are always good gifts!!)

well, joanns.com just shut down for scheduled maintenance so I guess I'll have to wait!

I bought one of the long metal ones iwth the hook on each end, and a one with the plasic loop thing like on circular knitting needles. (Sorry for not knowing the names.) I liked the stich style. I had a huge problem keeping the hook facing the right direction, it always rotates on me so that it's not facing the right direction and then I have roate it after every stich.. Very annoying... I took the hooks, and put them in with my stach.. Maybe on day I will try again.

BUt, that aside, I liked the one that was simlar to a circular knitting needle better. It didn't make my wrists hurt like the long strait metal one did. But then, I never liked strait knitting needles so I should have known.

I do alot of the Tunisian with my big hooks from Annie's Attic. The ones that have the hook at both ends are actually for something else. Off the top of my head I think it is called a cro-hook but I've never tried it.

Oh my, I remember my first tunisian project. I used worsted weight yarn, and an H hook and made a blanket. I made the stitch so tight that when I finished the blanket it was so heavy, for a twin, I couldn't use it. It caused me aches when I woke up. I eventually gave it away.

When you do tunisian or double ended crochet, (or chochenitting which uses a specific needle that is size G I think), either use yarn that is one step lighter than you would normally use, like sportweight instead of worsted, or use bigger hooks. Also tunisian uses more yarn.

Denise

I'm just talking about Afghan Stitch for now. But I'll keep that in mind. (sport-weight yarn, good tip!!)

I looked the afghan stitch up here and I think I can manage with a 14" hook for dishcloths. It actually looks easier than I had remembered!! :cheer

Thanks for the tip on the lighter yarn or bigger hook.. That was proabley making my issues with the afgan hook worse... I was using a light WW and a size G hook..... that could be it.. thanks.

Archived