Using wrong side of the work

sannebaaijens

Question

Hello everybody!

I have a question. I make a lot of phone covers/laptop covers etc. And when I crochet in the round I tend to like the "wrong side" of the work more...

People started to point me out that I used the 'wrong side' as the right side. So my question is, is there really a 'wrong side' or do people agree that it is a taste thing.

Because I change colors a lot, and I like that the 'wrong side' actually shows rows...

Thank you!

Sanne

3 answers to this question

the "right" and "wrong" side designation is really just a convention.  Certainly you can have whichever side you like facing out.  And even working the round, you can turn after each round so that some rows show the "right" side and some rows show the "wrong" side, often this will make a more even look overall.  

What is the context of people telling you that the "wrong" side is showing?  For example, if you are selling the covers, and many who see your wares make this comment, and then don't buy anything, it might be a good idea to make some with the "right" side showing to see if they will sell.  

and welcome to the ville :hook

I say whichever side you think looks better is the "right" side. There have been plenty of times over the years when I've made something that I liked the "wrong" side better, so I turned it over/flipped it inside out (hats, for example) and used/worn them with the "wrong" side facing. 

I don't really like the designation of "right side" and "wrong side" - it makes people think there is truly and right and wrong when it's a matter of preference. I prefer to think of it as "side a" and "side b".  :)

Archived